Thread: Perfomax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander

Perfomax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander

I have a chance to pick up a used one locally asking price is $950 and it includes SmartSand.

Thoughts on if that's a good price and if the sander works well.

Thanks,
    Dean

I've had one for twenty years and it has paid for itself many times over. Light duty but never has needed repairs. $950.00 would be good up here in Canuckistan if the condition was tidy.

Reasonable price if it works well and you really want one that big. Put some wood through it and then try to change the paper.

I would say that is a good price if it is in decent shape. New ones run about twice that much. Hopefully, it will come with a bunch of sandpaper to sweeten the deal.

Steve

Check the conveyor belt and make sure that it tracks correctly. When I wasn't paying attention to the belt tracking on a 22-44 I used to own, it tracked to one side too much and destroyed the belt. It was probably my own doing, but I found it a challenge to keep the belt centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post
    Check the conveyor belt and make sure that it tracks correctly.
    +1 on that... I have a Jet 16-32 and I have never been able to get it to track completely straight. I'm going to replace the conveyor belt again in an attempt to fix the problem as I want to use it for a project this summer or fall.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post
    Check the conveyor belt and make sure that it tracks correctly. When I wasn't paying attention to the belt tracking on a 22-44 I used to own, it tracked to one side too much and destroyed the belt. It was probably my own doing, but I found it a challenge to keep the belt centered.
    Good point. That is probably the biggest trouble spot with those sanders. Mine seems OK and simple enough to adjust, but I see complaints from others.

Steve

I bought a lightly used 16 - 32 4-5 years ago and have had no issues with it, my belt has never required adjustment. .... it will struggle with a cutting board, tiny depth adj only.

I used it almost exclusively for my segmented work so it rarely see's anything wider than 3-4 inches, I can't imagine doing this without it.

Tim

Thanks for all the replies....I'll go check it out and see how it looks.

I have the same sander, bought it used ... ever since I replaced the sandpaper type drive belt with one from http://timberww.com/ I've been happy with it.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.