Thread: Low Temperature Glues?

Low Temperature Glues?

With Winter not far off and predictions of heating costs skyrocketing.
    My garage shop will probably be heated only when I`m out there.
    It may be difficult to keep temperatures above the 50 degrees that is needed for conventional glues to work properly. So I`m looking for alternatives.
    Over 30yrs ago in highschool we used hide glue that has been around for centuries. I have`nt used it since and really know little about its working properties.
    Is this an alternative or do you have other options?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dannels
    It may be difficult to keep temperatures above the 50 degrees that is needed for conventional glues to work properly.
    I know of temperature restrictions on a few woodworking glues -- for instance urea-formaldehyde -- but not for the most common wood glue, PVA. PVA gets harder to spread at lower temperatures, but I've never seen it fail to cure.

Jim, from what I understand about PVA glues, they will withstand a freeze\thaw cycle or two. They might be a choice for cold weather use. Plastic resin glue shouldn't be used below 65 degrees per instructions. Hide glue has a water component and thus would surely freeze. If you use a "hot" pot and keep the shop above freezing I'd sure not be afraid to try hide glue. An epoxy might be an alternative, it sets a lot slower in cold, but I don't think it affects it's strength.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...110,42965&ap=1

cold cure epoxy from Lee Valley.

I've successfully glued-up with PVA down to 50 degrees. But I leave the clamps on for 24+ hours. When warm in the shop (80+), I can take the clamps off of a PVA glue up in 30 minutes.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Fast hardner for Epoxy works down to about 40, it'll take most of a day to cure though, a few days to cure completely. It'll mix easier if you can warm the resin/hardner in the house before use. I usually leave the cans sitting on a space heater for a bit first

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    I know of temperature restrictions on a few woodworking glues -- for instance urea-formaldehyde -- but not for the most common wood glue, PVA. PVA gets harder to spread at lower temperatures, but I've never seen it fail to cure.
    PVA most definitely has a low-temp problem. Check the bottle, and believe what they tell you...else you could come out the next day and find a chalky mess instead of the familair yellowish squeezout. Another reason I quit using it (creep being the primary).

I usually run the heat in the shop during the cool months, but this year I'm gonna get an elctric blanket and try that on a few glueups and see if I can save a buck or a hundred.

If there's a concern about freeze/thaw of the glue itself, just take it in the house with you when you're done.

KC

Well I think it`s time for some experimenting.

I have used the yellow glue, for many years now(1984), without exception.
    Thats kind of a funny story. Was repairing a porch for a lady.
    Put plywood up on the ceiling and propped it in place with a 2X4 t-bar.
    Squeeze out stuck to the t-bar and when I pulled it down it tore a hole in the plywood. After some headscratching, I convinced the owner that was the perfect place to mount a recessed light.

And like you say Kirk, I always take my glue in the house in winter.
    I think the electric blanket idea is a good one, I`ll use it.

I also am intrigued with the Hide glue and the idea I can mix only what I need for a given project. So will be trying that as well.

Epoxys, I also have not used, so maybe that will be in the future.

Out of the Titebond family of PVA glues, Titebond III has the lowest chalk point. I can't remember off hand what it it, but it's about 5deg C lower than Titebond II.

Steve