Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Jet Table Saw versus New Grizzly 0715

Used Jet Table Saw versus New Grizzly 0715

I am looking to buy a left tilt table saw. I presently have a Jet contractor's saw with bottom dust extraction and had bought a Vega fence to put on it. The Vega is still in the box so it could be installed on my next saw.

My choices now are a used Jet Proshop with a 30" cast iron wings for $800 or a new Grizzly 0771 hybrid for virtually the same price. In either case I think I would remove the original fence and install the Vega fence.

What are forum member's thoughts on one versus the other?

Thanks for your help.

Sam

Personally, between those two I'd probably go with the Grizzly since it has a full cabinet, a little more mass, a slightly more powerful motor, and a warranty.
    ~Garth

I understand it's more money, but it is a table saw(in my opinion the most important tool in a wood shop) maybe look into the G0690.

If the Jet is a full size cabinet saw, vs the hybrid, I personally would go with the full size Jet. That is if you are limited to the 800 price. The G1023 rl is also on sale from Grizzly for 1275 plus shipping, if you could swing that. My unisaw is 12 years old without any issues if that helps any.

I have a JET proshop myself. It is a pretty good saw -- it's kept aligned and I really like the fence. That said, it isn't a high-horsepower saw that zips through thick rips, dust collection isn't great, and it doesn't have a riving knife.

What are you looking for out of the upgrade?

Matt

The fence is the biggest knock against the G0771, but since you have the Vega already, I'd give it a shot, but I would not risk the issues with the G0715P. . The Jet Proshop is a nice hybrid, with a pretty good fence....is it the newer version with a riving knife? ($800 used seems a bit steep to me)
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I would sell the Vega and use the extra money to step up to the G1023RL(if you have 220V available)

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I would sell the Vega and use the extra money to step up to the G1023RL(if you have 220V available)
    That's a great idea (if you have 220V available)...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

After reading the replies, I can zero in my questions a bit more. There are two reasons for the upgrade, first to have a left tilt saw, since I've started doing more miter work and second because the fence on my Jet is a PITA, which is why I bought the Vega.

All of the saws I've seen use some version the T square fence, Shop Fox, Biesemeyer knockoff, etc. But I'm concerned that just like my current fence, they will go out of square when moved and don't have any capability for fine adjustments other than 'bumping' The Vega has a fine adjustment wheel, which is what I want. I might consider keeping the stock fence, but only if it remains square when moved.

So those are my questions.

My JET proshop fence does not have a fine tune adjustment. But it does stay square and it moves smoothly, so fine adjustments aren't too bad.

matt

Of the two, I would go with the Grizzly. They offer phenomenal customer service.

I've had the 1023 for some 10 years now. I can tell you the fence on that saw - made even back then is just fine. Really the biggest weakness compared to a true Bies is the readout isn't the greatest design but you can alter that pretty easily to make it more friendly. I wish I had the riving knife but mine predates that. I use a 1 HP feeder on that saw when I'm cutting FF stock or door R&S stock and the fence takes a beating with the pressure the feeder pushes against the fence and I've not had a minutes problem from it. My dad has the true Bies fence on his TS and I will say it seems a bit stouter and a little stronger on the back end but not to the point I'd want to replace the Grizzly fence on mine.

I'm with the others - the TS is absolutely the most important tool in the WS - I'd find a way to go to a true cabinet saw some how. Massive difference

Yes, I looked at the ad for it and it looks great! I'll just have to see if I can hold out a little longer to get together the extra bucks for that one.

If not, unless another good used alternative comes along, the Grizzly 0771 looks like a very good choice.

Also, I looked at a Proshop at Woodcraft the other day and I wasn't impressed with the fence. It will stay square while moving if you hold it, but has no fine adjustment capability. I'm 99% sure that whatever I get I'll put the Vega on it.

14. I bought the Grizzly 0715 last year and have no issues with it. It is a very good saw and definitely worth the money. After doing extensive research on forums and review sites, I found that most of the issues with the 0715 comes from improper assembly. The instructions manual is not the best in the world, but the guys at Grizzly are always willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Timmy Smith View Post
    I bought the Grizzly 0715 last year and have no issues with it. It is a very good saw and definitely worth the money. After doing extensive research on forums and review sites, I found that most of the issues with the 0715 comes from improper assembly. The instructions manual is not the best in the world, but the guys at Grizzly are always willing to help.
    How does one improperly assemble a saw to cause the back of the blade to move laterally when the blade height is changed?
    Last edited by scott spencer; 05-25-2016 at 6:28 PM.