Thread: Saw sharpening services

Saw sharpening services

I have been collecting W. Butcher stuff for many years, and have a nice Butcher 12" backsaw that needs to be jointed, sharpened and set. It is now 11 tpi +-, and the toothing is a bit irregular. Plate and tote are in very good shape.
    I can't locate anyone in my area (Mississippi) who even understands handsaw filing.
    I'd like to have a hybrid filing so I can use it for both rip and crosscut if possible.
    I don't wanna spend a zillion bucks on this saw, but surely there is someone you guys use who could provide this service at a reasonable cost and take less than 2 months to do the job.
    Who do you use?
    Operators are standin' by.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Bill,
    Not sure if this helps but I am planning to take a saw to my local WoodCraft. They have an arrangement with a local sharpener.
    Dan

There are several people that do this, but the only one I have first-hand experience with is Matt Cianci in Rhode Island. You can check out his website. If you Google "The Saw Wright", you should get his site. I don't know how busy he is, but he does excellent work.

There is a Robert Summerfield, of Missuola, Mt. Not only builds saw, rehabs saws, and will sharpen saw. He prefers you to leave the handle off, for the round trip....easy on the postage that way, and the handle won't get broke by the USPS.

I've only used Marv Werner and have been extremely happy with what he has done for me.

I found this very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5DixEaaUo

Blog Entries
    Not to thread-jack this but...

How do you ship saws? I have a twenty seven inch "Cast Steel Warranted Henry Disston" miter saw that came with my Langdon Miter box that needs sharpening. I have thought of making a sandwich of 1/8 ply and four pieces of 1/2 rigid foam insulating board. All of this goes in a cardboard box. Will this be enough to protect a valuable saw? ( It's valuable to me anyway ). I want to ship this from NY to Matt Cianci in RI.

The 27 inches is just the blade - the handle adds more length to the saw.

Best to email Matt Cianci to see about his backlog. He is good about returning emails but I suspect he is busy enough that hitting your 2 month timeframe will be a challenge. I am looking forward to getting 2 saws back from him shortly.

Bill,
    Marvin Warner has a great reputation and does terrific work, he has done a great job several saws that I have sent him (and he is reasonably priced), you might give him a try: werner161@mchsi.com