Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Junk, junk, junk

Junk, junk, junk

Years ago I bought a cheap 8 inch Delta miter saw. Some years later, the trigger switch quit working. So I decided to upgrade and bought a Hitachi 10 inch miter saw. Recently, the trigger switch has been acting up. Today, the saw would not stop when the trigger was released. I finally got the thing to turn off by pulling the trigger out a bit. Now the trigger won't turn the saw on! Took it apart and the switch is toast. This saw is rarely used.

I go to the internet site for Hitachi, find the correct switch, guess what? Discontinued! I have found another switch that looks similar and ordered it. I think I can make it work with some fiddling.

I've had the same problem with a router. Switch went bad.

Why can't we get better electrical controls on these tools with spending a fortune?

Thanks for listening, just venting. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Sometimes it's not the trigger, but the finger

It's hard to purchase anything that is quality built anymore. It seems that almost everything is now Chinese junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bridge View Post
    It's hard to purchase anything that is quality built anymore. It seems that almost everything is now Chinese junk.
    Definitely does seem that way these days.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

It sounds to me that Hitachi made a good call in discontinuing that switch. I hope the one you ordered is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Why can't we get better electrical controls on these tools with spending a fortune?
    Quality costs $$$ and noways everyone wants the cheapest [insert item]

The Companies who built quality and don't adapt (read start building cheap junk) can't sell enough to be viable and disappear leaving the cheaper junk as the only option...

Those of us old enough to remember quality pine for the old days when things where made to last and be repairable. The younger generation who never experienced it think it's normal and readily accept the disposable society we've become. And the downward spiral continues as manufactures continue to try and meet the insatiable desire for cheaper and cheaper products. Unfortunately we have only yourselves to blame.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Quality costs $$$ and noways everyone wants the cheapest [insert item]

The Companies who built quality and don't adapt (read start building cheap junk) can't sell enough to be viable and disappear leaving the cheaper junk as the only option...

Those of us old enough to remember quality pine for the old days when things where made to last and be repairable. The younger generation who never experienced it think it's normal and readily accept the disposable society we've become. And the downward spiral continues as manufactures continue to try and meet the insatiable desire for cheaper and cheaper products. Unfortunately we have only yourselves to blame.

Mike
    What he said

Those of us old enough to remember quality pine for the old days when things where made to last and be repairable.
    Mike
    I pine for the old growth Pine from the old days.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Buy an OMGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Buy an OMGA.
    Also what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bridge View Post
    It's not hard at all. It's just expensive. The real question is, how does it compare proportionally to 50 years ago. I think most of us would be surprised by the answer. Tools were better made 50 years ago, but they were also much more expensive relative to the average persons income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    It's not hard at all. It's just expensive. The real question is, how does it compare proportionally to 50 years ago. I think most of us would be surprised by the answer. Tools were better made 50 years ago, but they were also much more expensive relative to the average persons income.
    Well said.

$869.99 from Amazon and others. Made with pride in Japan. Definitely not junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Well said.

$869.99 from Amazon and others. Made with pride in Japan. Definitely not junk.
    15 INCH!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have one of those and it is an excellent saw that fits certain applications very well but has some big limitations in others. It miters but doesn't bevel.

Hitachi starts having their stuff made in China so they can make more money selling JUNK and their eventual solution to this is to buy the German company Metabo for their higher end line. Makes nonsense to me........

... when things where made to last and be repairable.
    Mike
    My dream is that we find our way back to that. You would think the Green crowd would be all over it already. Manufacturing products to be easily repaired should be a central tenet of any sustainability movement. It also provides jobs that extend beyond the actual repairing. A young person who makes a few bucks taking things apart and repairing them, gets to see what trained engineers designed and is thus exposed to that world, and for a few of them, something may click, and they discover they have an aptitude for engineering. It's an exposure to engineering they would never get if we just throw everything away when it stops working.

Modern manufacturing has led us to stamping parts together instead of using screws, but maybe the cost of screws would be something we would be willing to accept to get back to repairable tools and appliances.