Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Youtube channel

My new Youtube channel

Good evening all. I wanted to take this opportunity to share my new Youtube channel with you. I have decided to create a series of videos focused on getting kids woodworking. You can find Get Kids Woodworking episode 1 at the link below. I have also started a Patreon page which is linked below as well. This is a passion and the only reason I set up the Patreon page is to get some camera equipment and software. As it stands now everything I've done has been on either my Iphone or using the laptops webcam. The goal is to show parents and adults alike that you don't have to have a shop full of tools to create some very cool stuff. Thanks for reading and I hope everyone had a great day!

Episode 1-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t16ziX4zFU

Patreon-//www.patreon.com/user?ty=h&u=2796780
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-19-2016 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Removed link to personal web site, not allowed by TOS

Nice job Steve! What is that item of sorcery you have that you dragged across the wood?
    cut_thing.jpg

Randy, it is a $10 Stanley super aggressive saw. I use it to cut limbs as well. In episode 4 which I'm editing now I pull out the Veritas saw. The whole concept for the videos is affordability in the hobby. That being said that Stanley saw set me back $10-$15..

Steve. Please consider my recommendations:

1. Safety - You will have to demonstrate proper safety if you expect kids to also have proper safety. Please consider stressing safety and use it. Also consider safer alternatives like using plyers to start a nail, clamps, etc.

2. Tool Basics - You should do a video where you describe basic tools, uses, and where they can be bought. Tape measure, hammer and nails, saw, clamps, etc

3. How to read a tape measure - Kids are going not going to know how to read a tape measure. A whole video dedicated to that would probably be good.

4. Tool Selection - I'd recommend you keep tool selection down to a minimum and try to make projects using only those tools. Also, maybe say which tools and materials are required at the beginning of each video.

5. Downloadable templates - Remember that kids can follow picture instructions much better than written instructions, so try and have instructions available for offline use.

Great idea Steve! My boys (6 and almost 9) enjoy spending time in my shop and usually have a project in mind they want to work on, regardless of how many I have going myself I look forward to watching your series develop!

Robby, Thank you for the tips. I like your ideas and I will start paring away at them over the next few videos.
    Wes, As a father of 3 sons I totally understand. I am hoping that through Patreon support I can get a new camera and some editing software. On the back end I am getting some logos ready for the video series specifically.

I'm editing episode #4 currently and I am hoping it will be released by the weekend.

Steve, you mind adding your location in your profile? Just curious where you're from.

Where are the kids?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Wes, I have updated the profile. I'm quite new to the forum happenings. I have always just kind of done my own thing like many of us do.
    Mike, I'm trying to get the kids more and more involved however they are quite nervous about being in front of the camera. I did talk my middle son into letting me film him a little bit in Episode 3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    3. How to read a tape measure - Kids are going not going to know how to read a tape measure.
    Robby, I had to laugh when I read this. My one year of teaching shop to middle school kids was eye-opening.

I figured I ought to start at the beginning and teach how to read a ruler. I guessed the lesson would take a couple of days. Unfortunately, it took half the 6 week period I had them for most classes and some of the "students" never did get it.

I remember working construction during college breaks ~ 15 years ago. There'd be temp kids my age that had never held a tape measure let alone knew how to read one. I'm pretty sure they failed basic arithmetic too - they couldn't grasp 1/4's, or God forbid 1/8's.

I'm going to play devils advocate on this one and ask. How often do wood workers need to use a tape measure. I find myself rarely using one anymore.

I use a form of one all the time - steel rule, table saw fence ruler, tape measure, etc.

I'll also use a story stick too, marking gauges, adjustable square, etc.

To me reading a tape measure is a basic of woodworking. Look at a plan and cut the pieces based on the dimensions, put the pieces together. Not using a tape is more of an advanced skill and requires more though and planning and interaction with the piece. IMHO

It should be a part of woodworking 101.

As teacher it doesn't matter whether you use one. You need to teach the kids what those little ticks mean and how they relate to a diagram. However. . .

Truthfully, I have found a tape measure doesn't have the required accuracy for "fine" woodworking much of the time. When I need to be accurate I reach for an engraved steel rule or when possible hold the piece to where it goes and mark it.

Steve, Again, please approach your videos assuming kids know nothing about woodworking or using tools and cover all bases. I think that will help them form a really good foundation to start doing some woodworking.

I subscribed to your channel and wish you luck!

-Robby

I am loving hearing the advice. I finally got episode 4 uploaded. Try not to laugh too hard!