Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable tablsaws

Question Portable tablsaws

OK, guys, I need a portable tablesaw. I'm looking at Dewalt and Ridgid.

I like the Dewalt more, mostly because of the fence. The only negative is they have a dinky little X stand for their saw. I don't have time to weld up a better one right now.

The Ridgid has an excellent fold-up roller table. I've never bought a Ridgid power tool. I know every body likes their planer, what about the portable tablesaw? Any serious flaws with it?
    Every deed plants a seed.

The first two requirements I thought of...

...was the fence and stability. Fence being #1. I wouldn't be afraid of the Ridged. Some of those prortables are $$$. Yikes!!
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Howard - what will you use it for?

I have no experience with either - my portable is a cheap older craftsman 8" that has trouble cutting through a 2X4.

The dewalt looks good - I sometimes watch Bruce Johnson on DIY & he has one that seems to handle just about anything. but they are pricey - you could buy a good contractor saw for about the same price - less if you go Grizzley.

If you just need it for occasional use in a remote location - wouldn't one of the cheaper Delta's work? I saw one on Lowes web site for $99 & another model for $179. Then you can buy more tools with the money saved . I paid about half the cost of the Dewalt for my 3 year old Jet contractor saw with some shop built accesories included.
    How portable do you need it to be?
    Just something to think about.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

First I have to say I have never seen a Rigid saw so I know nothing about them. I did attend a table saw safety class given by Kelly Mehler and he used the DeWalt for his demonstration. I know Kelly works as a consultant to DeWalt and my have some bias, but I was impressed with the saw all day long. He carried the saw in, threw it up on a table (didn't use the x-stand), put the fence on it and did the class. I am sure the saw was well tuned to start with but after banging it around all day, fence on and off etc., all the cuts were as good as the first.

Ray - my .02 worth

Howard,
    I have several friends that have used the DeWalt and the Bosch.
    They all agree that the Bosch is the best portable table saw on the market to-day.

I have an older Makita

I bought it new, in about 1992, and have used it extensively. I got it with a long folding table. I don't think that table is available now, but I have adapted mine so I can take the saw out and mount my router in it for a protable router table as well. I don't know anything about the rigid, but I do like the Dewalt, my brotherinlaw has one. I still prefer my Makita, but it cost a lot more.
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

kinda long reply

When the Ridgid first came out I carefully looked at both the Ridgid and DeWalt. I think there was only $2 difference in the price. The DeWalt was a good saw, but the Ridgid had more features for the same price. Since then DeWalt dropped the price and then added the stand and Ridgid added the stand. I don't remember all the differences, but here are the ones I remember. The blade bevel on the Ridgid is gear driven, but not on the DeWalt. The table extended on the Ridgid to give better support than the flipper thingie on the DeWalt. Quick and easy to take off/put on the full size blade guard (although it's the same kind of guard that comes on tablesaws that no one uses). All of the parts (fence, blade guard, miter guage) are stored under the table top with a secure click (the DeWalt miter wants to fall out and I don't think there was a place for the fence to store under the table). There was a place to wrap the power cord on the Ridgid, can't remember if there was one on the DeWalt (don't think so because I remember the one on the Ridgid). The tape measure on the Ridgid extended with the table. The Ridgid stand is great!!! I was not in the market for a portable table saw, but I like to look at new tools. I have been impressed with most of the Ridgid tools (but not the lathe) ... I have the planer. It seems that the Ridgid engineers are looking at the competition for good ideas and then trying to improve on them. I love the mobile base on their table saw, it just wouldn't fit on my Jet cabinet saw.

Keith Z.

markus shaffer Guest

portable saw

i looked into the bosch and dewalt saws awhile back as i needed a small tablesaw for a job i was doing out of town. i am a firm believer in buying the best you can afford in tools because you usually get what you pay for. after alot of research (user reviews, the pond, looking at both saws) i settled on the bosch. however, i ended up buying a festool circular saw(best purchase on a portable tool i've ever made). i don't know much about the ridgid saw, but i would also look at the bosch. all the reviews i read about it were good. if i recall correctly, most people who owned one were completely satisfied with it. when i was looking, it came with a stand, but i don't quite remember the quality of it though.

good luck

-markus

Another vote to look at the Bosch

I, also after much research, bought the Bosch when I was about to rebuild (read completely gut & start over) my kitchen two summers ago.

I have since built a number of furniture projects including some mission-inspired pieces and have no regrets.

The folding stand is much sturdier than the DeWalt and locks both open and closed so you can bolt the saw to the stand, drop it down and away you go.

I would highly recommend you give it a once over before you decide.

Get a good stand

You might want to focus a bit more on the stand....

I have been using a pretty crappy delta benchsaw as my primary saw for the past couple years. The only thing that has made this setup work pretty well is having a nice stand (and ofcourse using a Forrest blade).

I use a <B><A HREF="http://www.rousseauco.com/2700.htm">Rousseau stand</A></B> and have the extra wing on the left with a router insert that I use for my router table. The fence is great and the rip capacity is 28" as is, or 50" with the extra wing on the right hand side.

What do you want to w/the portable.. if you are carrying from job site to job site -- then go w/a Makita 2703 ... great little saw, doesn't come with a stand but get a rousseau or use a workmate (what I do). It only weighs in @ 40lbs .. tough as rocks, splitter works well, fence is solid and it will rip 2" oak all day long.

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=71

If you need more of a garage saw, get a contractors saw and build a roll around stand. It doesn't take hardly anymore room than a bench saw and is a lot more sturdy..

The dewalt is a fine saw and so is the rigid... but I personally know more than a dozen contractor/remodeler types (10 years as a cub scout/boy scout leader will do that for you) and 90% of them have Makita 2703's & Hitachi SCMS's ... they say you can't kill them. It's all about portability & power to them.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

I also would recommend you looking at the Bosch and Makita. I haven't looked at them since I wasn't buying, but I do like my Bosch routers and Makita drill. Previously I was only giving my opinion on the Ridgid since no one else had.

Keith Z.

After comparing features and reading countless reviews, besides looking at them close up, I chose the Bosch. Got it from Amazon/ToolCrib for $499 with great folding stand and bonus outfeed extension added. The only problem I encountered was the miter slot being a trifle sloppy. I fixed that by getting an Incra 1000SE miter gauge with the adjustment washers and everything is A OK. It has great power, for a portable, and ripped some 6/4 oak with the stock blade (no throwaway and leaves few blade marks to joint or sand off). The rip fence is rock solid and I like the right side extension. I plan to build a router table top to drop in between main table and extension for dado and rabbet work using the TS fence. Also has soft start and 15 amp power.

Thumbs up Thanks for all the responses/

I have a Delta contractor w/ 52" Xacta fence for my shop. I'm looking for portable for worksite.

The Makita and Bosch caught my eye first, but no one in these parts carry them. After looking again today, I've decided I would choose Ridgid over Dewalt.

Does anyone know if any stores in Houston carry Bosch or Makita in stock?
    Every deed plants a seed.

Re: Thanks for all the responses/

Does anyone know if any stores in Houston carry Bosch or Makita in stock? [/B][/QUOTE]
    Have you considered mail order? Such as Tool Crib?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain