Thread: Jet 16 inch bandsaw

Jet 16 inch bandsaw

I'm in the market for my first bandsaw, with a budget limit of about 1 kilobuck. A minimax 16 would be lovely, but more expensive than I can justify. I'm interested in veneer making and cutting curves and would like ~ 10 inch resaw capacity. I'm a weekend and evening ww. This won't be for heavy, production use.

The 16 inch Jet looks attractive, but with compromises-- 1 1/2 hp, aluminum wheels, no rip fence. Has anyone here used it? Anyone think comparably priced Grizzlys are better? I can't see a strong reason to chose the equivalently priced Delta 14 inch, but maybe others have different opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

p.s. It's snowing again, with 26 inches already down!

I just purchased a 14" Delta with riser block. You can get the new 28-299B kit that includes the rip fence, 1 1/2 hp motor, riser block, and one long blade for $830 dollars. I liked the cast iron construction better, and my shop is in the basement. It was easier to break down the saw and carry the pieces to the basement. They also have a $50 coupon another piece of Delta equipment. I may end up using that on the drum sander to help smooth out my thin slices.

The Grizzly's I don't know much about. The new 17" looked interesting. but at $825 delivered to my door, I spent the same money, got Delta, same resaw capacity, local support, and more gray equipment. Grizzly says it's a two horse power motor, but is the 1 1/2 on a Delta the same as a 2hp Grizz?? I don't know, with Sears I'd know the answer.

I considered the Jet 16" as well. I didn't like the Euro style guides, and the table trunions seems to be stamped steel, or pot metal. No rip fence was also a concern. And with the Delta I can resaw to 12, not 10.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any other help. The search and the hunt is always fun. Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale towards the end of the month, might be a good time to buy either.

Bandsaw for $1K

I have the mm16, primarily for resawing. If I hadn't bought it, I'd have looked really hard at the 14" Laguna--has cast iron wheels and according to American Woodworker, resaws twice as fast as the next best 14" saw. At $895 plus shipping it meets your price criteria.
    Dennis

On $1K bandsaws

Doug,

I just went through the decision making process on a $1K bandsaw. I chose the Grizzly G0513. It has a 12" resaw and 2HP motor plus a bunch of other nice features. Otherwise the quality looks comparable to the Jet 16. I did have some early production problems with mine, but Grizzly customer service was great and took care of them (mine is serial number 38).
    The saw I wish I had is the Laguna LT16. It is around $1100, but they quoted me nearly $300 to ship one to MD. So, I passed.
    Careful you compare apples to apples with the Jet 16. It doesn't come with a fence or miter gauge. If you want an aftermarket fence anyway, then it is a good deal. Once you add the accessories that are included in the Jet 18, it is very little extra money.
    If you would like to take a first hand look at the G0513, contact me. I'm between DC and Baltimore.
    Sorry, the only full saw picture I have is from the unpacking. I did post a full review at the pond with lots of detail pics of the saw, but surprisingly don't have a fully assembled picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay St. Peter

Jay,

Thanks, I'll find your review while the Pond is still operational. These two saws seem to occupy the same 'sweet-spot' for price and features.

Doug

Jay, can you give me a pointer to your review?
    It didn't turn up in my search.

Thanks

It's Been A Long While Since I Was

in the market for a bandsaw.
    But from what I can see advertised in US magazines, 1000USD should get you a rip-snortin' machine!
    You've got TONS of selection and options available to you in the US.
    Do more homework, get more feedback on the secondary brands.
    Take your time! 1000USD is a bundle!
    My 2C.
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Thumbs down I've had the same problem

Doug,

I've had the same problem. I didn't bookmark my own review, and I can't find it on the pond.

I uploaded the html that I posted to the pond to my webspace. Pics are still hosted on the pond, so this will only work for a little while. I am planning on updating the review and posting somewhere more permanent when I have put the saw through its paces a little more (another month or two).

Also note that all the saws problems have been resolved. Grizzly says that the blade size should be 131.5", but I ordered my blades at 131" because I believe that's what it should be after doing some measuring. Also, another ponder got his at 131.5" and all tensioned. But the 1" was over the limit of the indicator. Hopefully mine won't be too short .

My table and trunnion were both replaced by Grizzly. It is now perfectly flat. Indications from Grizzly were that there was a production problem. I suspect that it is fixed. My replacement trunnion looked to be custom ground to ensure flatness. But, that may be a measure to make sure they don't have to do it again. Pond bandsaw review
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 02-18-2003 at 11:10 PM.
    Jay St. Peter

Nice review, I'd be interested in hearing how it cuts 10" stock. The funny thing is I wanted 12" or at least 10" resaw capacity, but don't currently have a board wide enough and thick enough to try it out.

Rounding off turning blanks will be my problem.

How's the dust collection? The Delta is lousy as supplied, I'll be making modifications.

Steve,

I will put the saw through its paces in the next couple of months. I plan on attempting a 10-12" resaw just to say I did it. I'll update my review and post it once I get there. Not a heck of a lot of time lately.
    Jay St. Peter