Thread: "Outside the Fire"

"Outside the Fire"

3 inch sphere casted from Alumilite resin with coloring and Mica powder. Turned using the Carter Perfect Sphere jig. Sits on a piece of Red Gum that was bleached and colored.

C and C welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

You really took a huge leap with Dragon's Teapot..so it willbe hard to live up to that and our expectations of you delighting us with more leaps of design and color. Like the sphere & it's bold color...not so enamored of the base..maybe the color? maybe a different one? maybe I'm full of beans :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Michelle thanks for the comments. Not sure why i quit posting here. I am getting a much better response here. Yes the Dragon Teapot is going to be hard to top but I keep pushing myself. Ya me too Not sure about the base. I was a scrap and thought I would turn a depression and see what it was like.

Michelle where is your work. I always loved seeing your work.

Ron

Neat idea and color. Which mica colors did you use? The photos really don't display the effect of the dichromic powders well. Thanks for sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Neat idea and color. Which mica colors did you use? The photos really don't display the effect of the dichromic powders well. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob it takes a video to show off the mica powder and it needs to be on a turn table. I used just a pearlite powder. I have 3 colors, blue, red, and yellow. Plus the mica

Missed this post all day........certainly a vibrant color scheme.....a real beauty Ron.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Fantastic piece! That lapis blue is my favorite color. I bought a few chunks of lapis at a recent gem and mineral show and haven't gotten up the gumption to use them for inlace yet.

Is the red gum sandblasted or is that the bark? Looks similar to the bark of some of the African and Australian burls I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    Fantastic piece! That lapis blue is my favorite color. I bought a few chunks of lapis at a recent gem and mineral show and haven't gotten up the gumption to use them for inlace yet.

Is the red gum sandblasted or is that the bark? Looks similar to the bark of some of the African and Australian burls I've seen.

No bark on the red gum. It was all natural, then bleached, then dye was airbrushed on

I'm impressed with all your work. Thanks for sharing such unique pieces. I'm new to turning, so what do you mean by bleached the gum? What is the process and are ther other wood that work or don't work?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I'm impressed with all your work. Thanks for sharing such unique pieces. I'm new to turning, so what do you mean by bleached the gum? What is the process and are ther other wood that work or don't work?

Zinsser makes a 2 part bleach. It is a wood bleach and is made to be used on wood. It is some harsh chemicals and you must wear gloves when using it. It will raise the grain and you will need to sand it back. Hope this helps

That's one I'd love to see in person. In the photo it looks so much like a planet from space! It might go well with a neighbor or two. [ hint :-) ]