Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good bench Grinder For Sharpening Tools

Good bench Grinder For Sharpening Tools

Hi all, this is my first post, been trolling around for a while. I've always liked watching turning on TV shows and took the plunge and got at Delta 46-460 and some Sorby tools, both a mini modular set and beginner full size set. Thing is they are getting dull and I need to sharpen. I like the idea of the Sorby sharpening system but can't bring myself to drop 5 Benjamins on it. Though that said by time I buy a grinder and eventually upgrade to a set of CBN wheels I'd be at the Sorby price tag.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Rikon 80-805. Does anyone in here use it, if so what are your thoughts? What material/grit wheels should I look at getting other than the 60/120 white aluminum oxide wheels that come on it for my HSS tools? Also what sharpening system do you guys think is best...Wolverine, Robo Hippy, other?

I'm in the Jackson, MS area. If anyone knows of a local club that I could start going to in order to learn the craft better, please let me know.

Thanks for any info/advice and happy turning.
    Last edited by Bruce Wilson; 05-19-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Bruce, I had to go out to the shop to check my Rikon grinder, and it is the 808, which is the 1 hp grinder. I am guessing that the 805 is the 1/2 hp grinder. The smaller grinder is pretty good for its size, but I prefer more heavy duty. It will spin the aluminum CBN wheels, and I have heard that it does a fair job on the heavier steel ones. I got the 1 hp model because I prefer more heavy duty. I did have to grind one foot down 1/8 inch to get it to sit level after I took the rubber feet off, and took the lamp off because it was pretty much worthless. For the money, a pretty good grinder, and on sale, I think they go down to 180 or 190. Not a Baldor grinder, but still pretty good.

I can't really compare them to the Sorby belt grinder, which is popular. I looked at it when it first came out, and the motor just didn't look heavy duty enough for me. With the Rikon grinder and CBN wheels, you will never need to change out the wheels, with the Sorby you will wear out belts. The Wolverine set up is by far the most used sharpening set up out there. I don't use gouge jigs, so I never got it, I use a platform for all of my sharpening.

robo hippy

Hi Bruce--

One of the marks of a good grinder is a sizeable, turned ledge where the wheels attach. Cheap ones have a tiny lip that just doesn't give a good reference for the wheels to spin true. Not sure about that ones you've mentioned, unfortunately.

However, I am posting because I too am in the Jackson MS area (Crossgates/Brandon), and I'd be happy to show you my setup, give you pointers, sharpen your tools, whatever. Send me a message if you're interested. There's also the Magnolia wood turners who meet about half an hour to the south. I'm not a member but they seem like good folks.

A sharpening setup is an absolute must, though. I sharpen my tools every five minutes or so!
    Last edited by Bob Bouis; 05-19-2016 at 12:15 PM.

I highly recommend a CBN wheel. These wheels turn true, run cool, work aggressively, and last for a long time. They make a cheap grinder perform well. All this will make sharpening quick and easy for you, which means you will be encouraged to sharpen more frequently, which makes your turning better.

Not at home, so I can't verify the model number, but I'm pretty sure that's the model I got. It's a decent machine, but they mount the wheels with cheap stamped spacers. My 60 grit wheel exhibited quite a bit of wobble (in the direction parallel to the shaft) until I took some time to adjust things (there are instructions out there for doing this). It still wobbles a little, but not enough to cause any problems. I would imagine if you're going to replace the wheels with CBN or something, this wouldn't be a concern anyway.

I can't speak to CBN wheels, having never used them, but my mentor put it to me this way -- you're going to be grinding a cutting edge on most of your tools that will see a lot of immediate wear on the lathe. Extremely finely honed edges for most tools (basically everything but the skew) will wear away almost immediately anyway. A decent 120 grit stone wheel is plenty sufficient for this purpose. For the skew, after basic shaping, honing is usually called for, but you can easily do that with a cheap diamond honing card (I got mine at Harbor Freight). Why spend that much on a wheel when you could use that money to buy new tools or even better, wood? But as I said, I'm just passing along his opinion. I don't have any personal experience in this area.

Now that I have 600 and 1000 grit CBN wheels, and with considerable and still ongoing experimenting, the fine grit edges excel with finish cuts, but are not good for roughing cuts. I wouldn't trade my CBN wheels for anything else I have seen.

robo hippy

(Sorry if this is digressing into a CBN discussion)...

The CBN isn't about honing (mine's 180). It's about running true and how long it lasts. Once set up, it requires no dressing or compensating for decreasing diameter. Precisely because the lathe wears tools so quickly and aggressively is why the speed and convenience and consistency of the CBN is a boon. It makes RE-sharpening quick, which reduces any desire to work a dull tool longer than it should be worked.

I would love to have CBN wheels, but as a hobby turner who only sells stuff to have money to spend on more tools I'm quite happy with my Rikon 805 and the white wheels that came on it. I had to dress them quite a bit to begin with, but they've been running true for a couple of years now with no additional dressing. They do need it now though, as I've ground a slight groove in the higher-grit wheel. But still, having to redress even every few months is preferable over the additional $500 for CBNs and more expensive grinder. Even the cheap OEM wheels don't wear down quickly enough for a hobby turner to need to replace them before using them. I would like to try some Norton wheels next, but that's still a few years down the road. Granted I've only turned maybe 100 pieces total over the 3 years I've been spinning, but it is a starting point.

I will hopefully upgrade my Delta 46-525 to a big Grizzy lathe before I go CBN

I enjoy an 8 inch cbn on my 6 inch grinder and nothing on the other side. Cbn cost me $200.

...I'm looking at the Rikon 80-805. Does anyone in here use it, if so what are your thoughts?...
    Bruce,

I have one of the Rikon 80-805 grinders as well as several other grinders and a Tormek. I consider the Rikon a bit underpowered for CBN wheels which tend to be heavy. I use a coarse stone wheel and a special buffing wheel on that grinder. I have one of the older no-name 1750 RPM grinders from Woodcraft which has a 3/4 hp motor and it happily turns two CBN wheels. (Ken Rizza, Woodturner's Wonders sells aluminum CBN wheels which may be lighter than steel, I don't know for sure all of mine came from Ken.)

JKJ

sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Hi Bruce--

One of the marks of a good grinder is a sizeable, turned ledge where the wheels attach. Cheap ones have a tiny lip that just doesn't give a good reference for the wheels to spin true. Not sure about that ones you've mentioned, unfortunately.

However, I am posting because I too am in the Jackson MS area (Crossgates/Brandon), and I'd be happy to show you my setup, give you pointers, sharpen your tools, whatever. Send me a message if you're interested. There's also the Magnolia wood turners who meet about half an hour to the south. I'm not a member but they seem like good folks.

A sharpening setup is an absolute must, though. I sharpen my tools every five minutes or so!
    i am in Hattiesburg would like to visit sometime to watch, my new shop is 95% done I have a a jet lathe still in box hope to have it out in a few weeks.. pm me bobcfreeman@gmail.com

Thanks for all the info and advice guys. Much appreciated.

Prashun, I agree about the wheels, but with the fine grits, it is honing but not on a card.

robo hippy

A few comments on the Rikon grinders.....

First off, Woodcraft offers only a ninety day warranty. What does that tell you about their confidence in Rikon grinders? A grinder is basically an electric motor. Would you buy a lathe if the motor was only guaranteed for 90 days?

Watching a video on assembling the grinder out of the box gives a good run down on the units. It appears to be a generic China-made grinder with the exception it's 1750 rpm. They've used every money saving trick in the book, like inexpensive stamped metal wheel guards and work rests, etc, etc. Those would be cast iron on a quality grinder (or at least heavy stamped metal).

They include "white" wheels as if white wheels are automatically the best. But, they give no specification of the wheel grades, only the grit size. For grinding hard steel you should have a very soft wheel.

In the video the man mounts a wheel to check for wobble or runout. If there is he suggests slightly rotating the wheel with respect to the arbor and wheel flange until the wheel runs true. To me, that seems ridiculous. I would first determine if the grinder arbor and inner wheel flange are running true, if not reasonably true, send the grinder back. If the arbor, etc are true, then dress the wheel to eliminate the wobble and runout.

It's worth noting as he was testing for wobble you could see the stamped outer wheel flange itself was substantially out of round.

In summary, I don't see these grinders as quality items. But, they may be the only thing offered new in this price range.

I suggest checking Craigslist for a quality older grinder. In the Seattle CL this morning there are around 30 bench grinders listed. In the under 100 buck range only two that I'd consider buying, older American made, cast iron construction. For those who live in an area not well served by CL you may have to bite the bullet and buy a Rikon or equivalent.