Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing heavy rust

removing heavy rust

What is the best way to remove heavy rust from cast iron surfaces ?

How heavy we talking about? "Wire wheel" heavy or "scotchbrite" heavy? And what surface? A planed surface or contoured surface?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Evaporust works great. If the piece is too big to put in a container, put a rag on the surface and soak the rag with Evaporust - then cover it with plastic to keep it from evaporating and let it sit overnight. It worked fine for me - I was amazed at the results.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Erik its wire wheel heavy. I bought a older delta DJ-20 jointer mainly for parts so I knew it was rusty, but decided to try to clean it up... Where do you buy this evaporust ? Thanks for the replies guys.

Before using the Evaporust, you can use a razor blade scraper to remove a lot of the existing rust. It works very well.
    Rick W

Before spending money on evaporust to clean a tool you bought for parts, consider a razor blade followed by a scotchbrite with WD-40 and some elbow grease. You'll be amazed how well it'll clean.

Blog Entries
    I have scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed on many a hand saw, plane body, axe head....no longer. I second Mike's suggestion, Evaporust. Nothing I have found works like Evaporust. The best thing is it is biodegradable and safe for my hands. I did an Adze head recently that had been outside for years. It was in bad shape, chunks of rust all over. The flat faced Adze, head without a handle, next to the plastic bag, is what came out of the Evaporust. It looks better than when it was brand new:

WorkTable.jpg

I added water to the first gallon I bought several times over 1 1/2-2 years, when there was not quite enough to cover the tools in it. The adze was the last thing I did with the first gallon. I just bought another, not because the first gallon wasn't working but because there was a disgusting amount of gunk in the original that I did not care to strain out.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-19-2016 at 9:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Erik its wire wheel heavy. I bought a older delta DJ-20 jointer mainly for parts so I knew it was rusty, but decided to try to clean it up... Where do you buy this evaporust ? Thanks for the replies guys.
    Harbor Freight carries it, but you can find it, or equivalent, at Home Depot and many other places. Look for rust remover.

Mike

[Like Rick said above, if you take as much off before the Evaporust, it will make the Evaporust last a bit longer.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-19-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Tractor Supply usually has Evaporust, which is where I got mine from.

Thanks for the help. I will get some and try it out,(evaporust). I have spent a lot of time using emery cloth to git rid of minor surface rust but definitely need more power for this job.

amazon has a gallon for $14

For large flat surfaces like a jointer, I'd start with a razor blade to scrape it off, then lightly with a wire wheel cup on an angle grinder, then put scotch brite on the cup and move through the grits.

I mainly use evaporust on non-flat parts. Though I've done the wet rag method with ok results.

Blog Entries
    I prefer to sandblast to white metal any heavily pitted rust. Pitted means it is below the surface and scraping or even wire brushing isn't going to do the job. Not sure of chemicals though.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-20-2016 at 9:53 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I just restored, total rebuild, a Delta 15" planer that had tons of rust as water had leaked onto it from a leaking roof. (Had I known how much rust was really in it I would not have bought it, even though it was reasonably priced!) Anyway, I tried everything except evaporust on the tables. Sanded, scraped with a carbide scraper, razor blades, wire wheels, naval jelly, etc. finally a fellow woodworker loaned me his angle grinder with a wheel on it that he bought at a welding supply store. Boy did that work! Don't know what they call it but it looks like a very firm open black sponge with a sparkling abrasive coating. Welders use it to clean off rust on big iron that has sat outside for years, before welding. Took me a couple of months over the winter to rebuild as I had to keep waiting for weather days to repaint. Glad to hear evaporust works, you don't want to go through what I did. Good luck.
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 05-20-2016 at 10:15 AM.

I would think the best way is using a laser - probably not worth the additional investment you're looking for tho