Thread: Simply traditional ( almost )

Simply traditional ( almost )

Well George, as promised, I did indeed put a square plate on my classic series dovetail saw, but in keeping with my rebellious nature against strict tradition, I added black mother of pearl saw fasteners. I know, I know. Shame on me.
    So enough said. 12" dovetail ( seems to be the latest fad ). 38* closed dovetail, not counting cant. 0.020" plate. Filed 16 ppi x 8* rake x 0* fleam. Apologies for the nicks and dust. It had been moved and knocked around a bit in my shop.
    IMG_3049.JPGIMG_3050.jpgIMG_3051.jpg
    And for those saws that won't play nice....A 24 oz. solution. IMG_3053.JPG

Blog Entries
    More beautiful work. Almost time for me to go off and dream about using them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Ron,

You have taken saw making to the next level.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Ron:

Very nice and crisp - Ebony I presume?

As for the black MOP - I REALLY like that touch. Well done.

Dave B

Beautiful saw, Ron! I really like the gentle cant and subtle details. Bravo!
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Another beautiful saw

Ron

I am almost glad I can't afford your magnificent saws because if I had one I think I would mount it on my desk and just admire it all day. Besides, tools such as that far exceed my ability to use them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Ron

I am almost glad I can't afford your magnificent saws because if I had one I think I would mount it on my desk and just admire it all day. Besides, tools such as that far exceed my ability to use them.
    That's ok Mike. They exceed my abilities too. That 911 display case you engraved for me still sits proudly in the Fire House.

Beautiful saw Mike. I like the M.O.P. Fasteners even if they aren't traditional. The closed handle on a dovetail saw is what really catches my eye as unique. All of these recent saw pictures makes waiting difficult, yet still exciting.

Ron,

Beautiful saw! I really like the traditional look, and the saw is pretty traditional, but like Mike mentioned the saw is capable of doing far better work than I would even attempt at my current level of skill. For what its worth the saw is so beautifully made that you totally ignore any small deviations from tradition as irrelevant. Again, beautifully done.

Stew

Beautiful !!!!!
    Jerry

Dovetail saws often remind me of pistols. The black handle and Mother of Pearl makes me think of this saw needs a leg holster that can be tied down. Can you hear the iconic 5-note western whistle when you take it from the saw till? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQPpFIPOO2o

Wow.

Absolutely astounding. The saw, and even the mallet, too!

I've not had the privilege of handling, much less making such tools yet, but I hope the day comes that I can experience either/both!

I haven't followed the build. Where did you acquire the blade, or did you make your own?

Blog Entries
    Luke,
    Ron sells kits for making a saw. At least, he used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Ron

Until you actually found out how well it cut, and then it would become a go to user in your shop! I have three of his saws, getting ready to order another.