Thread: Aspire Camp Pictures and Event Information

Aspire Camp Pictures and Event Information

Here is the link to the first YouTube Slideshow from the first day of Jim McGrew's Aspire CNC Event in Columbia South Carolina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzAYbJJCpDg

I will have some of my own pictures to share later today and this evening. Its a very busy event, the best one that Jim has ever hosted to date.

These pictures were taken Saturday May 20th, 2016

The first two pictures were taken at the Trotec demonstration area.
    The second two pictures were taken at the CAMaster CNC Router area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-20-2016 at 9:10 PM.

Gary Campbell answering questions about his wood lathe conversions to CNC.

Joey Jarrard's US Router Tools booth. I acquired a new collet system from Joey yesterday that is pretty slick.

Luke from CAMaster showing off a very nice Stinger I machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kieth it was really good to see you and the Creekers here this year, The Creek Was well represented !!

I just got back from this camp, and have nothing but good things to say about it. Anyone who uses Vectric software would benefit from it. Meeting people with in-depth experience using the hard and the soft like Keith, James McGrew, James Booth and Beki from Vectric, Gary Campbell, Andy Pitt, Steve Gooding and many others is invaluable. I have gained so much from the freely shared knowledge of folks like this here and on the Camheads, Vectric and Woodweb forums. Thanks to all, and particularly to Mr. McGrew for hosting the event.

We had a very nice trip and the Aspire event was full of talented people.
    I was so busy I didn't take as many pictures as I had planned but I have a couple more to post once I get unpacked. A group of us spent a great deal of time discussing a new technique for producing lithophanes. We had some of the most talented folks in the industry gathered around the Trotec laser booth brainstorming ways to improve the quality and reduce the time it takes to machine them. We had James Booth sharing his expertise with Aspire, how it can help us refine pictures and get them ready to both engrave and to route. Don Mayhew produced a very high quality lithophane with his laser engraver, Mike Null did this several years ago so we knew it was possible. In the end we decided that the best approach will be to CNC Route a roughing toolpath and then laser engrave them. This should reduce the time required and still make it possible to produce a superior lithophane.

I was scheduled to fly down for my third year in a row (bit of a trek since its three connecting flights from me to Columbia). However about two weeks ago it was looking like taking off three days from work wasn't happening. Being in the custom woodworking business in a small shop, it's hard for me to forecast months ahead if I can take time off or not. We have several jobs nearing end and I had to cancel, unfortunately.

Seeing what was covered, I regret not going though. The past two years were invaluable from the standpoint of what I learned.

Hope to return in 2017 if there will be another...
    Andrew J. Coholic