Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best wood for outdoor furniture

best wood for outdoor furniture

What would you say is the best wood for outdoor furniture in a hot fry climate like Phoenix?

Redwood and cedar are pretty good. Cyprus is another one. While those are all good, weather well, pretty bug and rot resistant, they are all on the soft side and therefore can get dinged and banged up a bit (which may or may not be a big deal).

I just made a seating bench/arbor thingy out of ipe and while it is supposed to be good for decking (heavy and dense), the jury is still out on how well my bench/arbor thingy will hold up but I suspect it'll be fine. It can take more of a beating than the 3 above woods.

Plan to apply your chosen finish (if any) at least once a year as the sun, wind and rain pummel it. All of these will turn an ash grey if nothing is applied to them or routinely applied to them. For example, if you want the redwood to stay red, you'd better stain it the red you want it to stay.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I agree with Chris I think Cedar makes the best outdoor furniture.Its very stable and light and will not rot.Redwood would be my second choice.Good Redwood heart is gonna be pricey but it wouldn't bother with sap wood too soft and junky.
    There is teak but that's for the rich people.
    Plus if I had 5000 dollars worth of teak outdoor furniture I'd be out there guarding it every night with my shootin iron.

Just wonderin do you plan on sitting outside when it's a zillion degrees? Last time I was in Arizon I kept in the shade and that was brutal.

There is Jatoba(brazilian cherry) and Afromosia. Both are fabulous outdoors. I have some jatoba that has been outside exposed to the weather in the woods here in central tx for 31 years. Both can be had for about 4/5.00bf here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    in a hot fry climate like Phoenix?
    I feel like this isn't a typo...

I use a lot of northern red cedar - it's plentiful and cheap where I live. In the past, I've used redwood, and teak. All have weathered well.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Even HD 2x will last for a decade if you paint it. If you don't paint it then you could get about 5 years. I made a picnic bench from lumberyard reject/free wood pile, mostly already weathered 2x10, 2x12 and it lasted 5 years of maritime weather, full sun exposure, piles of snow in winter, etc. It is still standing, but probably for the last summer.

I use cypress to build Adirondack chairs. It needs to be heart wood. White oak is also a good material for the purpose but it is heavy and less portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    What would you say is the best wood for outdoor furniture in a hot fry climate like Phoenix?
    Of the domestics, ERC, White Oak, Cypress, Redwood and Black Locust are all good. I would use whichever of those is most readily available in your area.

The best wood for outdoor furniture is probably Teak but it's prohibitively expensive.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

As far as sealers, I've had good luck with Thompson's stained water sealer. I made a deer stand some years ago out of construction site stud scraps and it lasted about 6 years fully exposed before it started rotting. The finish looked good for 4 years or better, and it would probably still be standing had I smeared on a fresh coat after a few years.

I made a couple out of maple about 10 yrs ago and they are holding up well.. They are heavy by design so they won't blow into the Windows .

I like to use North American woods when I can. Ipe is just not sustainable, with the rates of illegal logging in Brazil and other tropical regions. It's also a bear to work with, and finish can't penetrate it much at all, so it doesn't stay on it.

If you're going to paint it, treated pine may be the answer.

Will the furniture get a lot of sun exposure, or will it live in the shade on a patio or some other place under cover?

I built some patio furniture 7 years ago from unfinished WRC shipped here direct from Canada. Although it weathers well, the early wood of the WRC is eroding and the surface is becoming corduroy like. The white oak furniture build at the same time is holding up well. The unfinished WO has weathered gray; The WO on some clear finished pieces is holding up well, but I have been unable to find a clear finish that will last for more than a year.

All of these pieces (12) have been out in full Phoenix weather (sun) year round.