Thread: Alternative image hosting services to Photobucket?

Alternative image hosting services to Photobucket?

One of the things I do is send customers links to albums I have in my Photobucket. There appears to be some issue that Photobucket cannot resolve that, in a nutshell, resets every one of my album passwords to some default word of their choosing any time I back out of a page or refresh it, which renders it useless if I try to send a customer a link to this or that album. What I need is a hosting service that I can upload images to, then share password-protected images or albums with to other folks. Editing is not a priority, just hosting and storage. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I don't know if it'll do something what you want, but I have friends that like smugmug a lot.

What about Picasa too?

Buy an NAS and enable it for external access would be my suggestion. Synology is one brand that can do that and you have complete control.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I use gmx.com for email, they also offer 2 GB. storage if that is enough. You can make contents of the 'cloud' space viewable to others by sending a link. I haven't used the 'cloud' space but their email service has been reliable. I don't know about customer service because I've never had to use it.

http://www.gmx.com/tools/file-storag...gridelement4-1

There are other similar services - Dropbox is the best know but I have no experience there. A NAS as Chris suggests would give the most control and unlimited storage but I don't know what's involved in setting one up and securing it.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-21-2016 at 7:40 AM.

Flickr or Google Photos. Upload directly, edit and create albums from your smartphone with either app.

You could also use Imgur which is free but I don't believe there's any way of controlling user privileges per gallery.

Does it have to be a specific image photo service? You might want to look into dropbox and see if that works better for you. You can share specific folders with people.

Greg

Very happy with Smugmug. Does everything, very professionally, and there are real humans to help you when you have a problem. Lots of tools to present different appearances and photos to different users with adjustable privacy settings-- it's used a lot by pro photographers Not free, but a good example of getting superior value from a good tool. Integrates quite nicely with Lightroom.

Thanks, gents. I'm going to look into both Google Drive and then Smugmug. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Be sure you read the TOS....I don't think you can use Google drive for commercial purposes, although I could be wrong about that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Definitely read the TOS, if it is the same as the Gmail TOS it allows Google to use anything in an email for their own purposes.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I was not aware of that with Google Drive. Thanks for the heads-up.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I was happy with smugmug until the big pro account price increase. I've been pretty satisfied with Zenfolio ever since.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I've been super happy with Flickr Pro. I think it's $25 per year for a ridiculous amount of storage. Good photo editor. You can create albums super easy. Just drag and drop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]