Thread: Mystery Arkansas -- What have I got here?

Mystery Arkansas -- What have I got here?

I picked up the bottom Arkansas stone at a flea market for $2. It appears to have been a longer stone that was broken and reground. It's just under 2" wide, and a little over 4" long.

It's the one on the bottom:
    Ark1.jpgArk2.jpg

It's not the color of the soft Arkansas that I've seen and know. You can see, I've put it beside my cheapo smith's Soft Arkansas.

It also behaves differently from the cheap soft ark. It cuts much quicker, and leaves a keen edge - better than I can get from comparable grits of sandpaper, or my Japanese waterstone, even. I really, really like it - so much so, I've become interested in Arkansas stones in general.

Is this what many refer to as a "Hard White Arkansas"?

Blog Entries
    It may be a hard white. It might also be a lily white Washita. I am not very informed on stones in general. I do know which ones on my bench work for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It may be a hard white. It might also be a lily white Washita. I am not very informed on stones in general. I do know which ones on my bench work for me.

jtk
    Hey Jim! Do you primarily use Arkansas stones?

I remember you recommended I try a hard Arkansas (not sure if you specified white?). Anyway, that's part of the reason I picked this up when I saw it!

In my limited experience with them, I am really taking a liking to Arkansas stones. Granted, I have a total of two, small, inexpensively acquired ones to judge from! It seems to be a slippery territory, though. It seems there are countless types of stone classified as "Washita" alone, and apparently the definitions of "Hard", "Soft", etc. have changed over the years.

Or, so I've gathered from very preliminary research. I guess as long as you find something that you like, and works for you, it's worthwhile! Getting there without spending an arm and a leg to try everything under the sun is the ideal, though, right?

Blog Entries
    Certainly not a Lilly White Washita. It would be more translucent. Looks like a hard white Arkansas to me.

Blog Entries
    Hey Jim! Do you primarily use Arkansas stones?
    Hi Luke,

I have a couple of sharpening stations. One is set up with water stones. The other sharpening station is oil stones. For my oilstones the Arkansas stones are my preferred stones.

I have been using oilstones more lately. During the winter the water freezes in my shop making it impossible to use the water stones.

I recently purchased a hard Arkansas stone from another member. It is an amazing stone. Though I still like the speed of the water stones.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

70% certain a soft arkansas, 30% a washita. Don't think either are worth your while to try, so send them to me and I'll dispose for you. I'll even waive my usual fees!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.