Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Colt Plunge vs Dewalt 611 for inlay work w guide bushings on box lids

Bosch Colt Plunge vs Dewalt 611 for inlay work w guide bushings on box lids

I am ready to purchase a small router for doing inlay work on box lids. I think both Bosch Colt w plunge base and Dewalt 611 are good choices but I am a neophyte w limited experience. What would a more experienced box maker choose

Blog Entries
    The Bosch Colt was one of the first of these little powerhouse "palm routers" to catch on outside the pro market dominated by the (back when they made good tools) Porter Cable 310. DeWalt sort of crushed the Bosch in popularity when it followed up but, I like the Bosch's smaller size and lighter weight . . . I also may just be used to the easy one-handed grip you can get on the smaller diameter body.

The plunge base really makes the Colt what it should always have been. In the fixed base arena the DeWalt seems a lot nicer. that being said I rarely have reason to put the motor back into the fixed base. YMMV. Either way you go I would opt for variable speed. I know a lot of folks just use the single speed and let 'er rip. For inlay and detail work I like a little more finesse.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-21-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have the Colt and I really like it. I have the plunge base.

I have a DW 621 (full size router) and I really like it. It was and still is a leader in that class.

I think you pay your money and take your choice.

I don't have a Colt but I have the predecessor. I think it was referred to as a laminate trimmer and I got the kit. I love it but it doesn't accept the P-C bushings w/o a shop made base. The DeWalt is bigger but still well balanced. I would recommend it since I like the plunge base, adjustable edge fences (separate for fix and plunge base), dust collection and especially the LED lights. The accessories are good and reasonably priced.
    Gary

I have the Colt from when it first came out and it has served me well, but when the DeWalt showed up on the scene I thought it was better because of the greater visibility of the see-through baseplate and the LED light. For inlay work, visibility is an important feature.

If you settle on the Colt, be aware that Bosch released word back in November that a new and improved Colt would be coming out, model#GKF125CEK. The new model will have the LED lighting and the polycarbonate base. Supposedly a better depth adjustment system and more power also. I have been watching to see when the retailers start offering the new model, but I haven't noticed anyone stocking it yet although Acme Tools will take a pre-order on it for $139. The press release said the old model will remain in the current line, maybe the price of the old one will drop? I am not sure if a plunge base will be available for the new Colt, but I would expect that it would.

You might also take a loo at the Makita.
    While I haven't used any of these with a plunge base, we've gone through a lot of Dewalt's and Colt's in our shop.
    We just tried a Makita and will be switching over to it, as it appears to be a better product.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-RT0701C...X3+plunge+base
    Gerry

JointCAM

How about a cordless Dremel with a plunge base...

Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

9. I have a Dewalt 611 and love it.

I sold my Colt after buying the 611. That pretty much sums it up for me.

I had the Colt early on and bought the 611 kit because I wanted a plunge base that Bosch didn't have at the time. The 611 also can take P-C bushings out of the box. I recently purchased the small Makita thinking it may be better than the DeWalt 611 but was surprised to find the DeWalt 611 was quieter, had less vibration, and the fixed base height mechanism is much easier to set on the DeWalt.

I bought the Dewalt 611 kit and liked it so much, I bought a second 611 motor so I would have a small fixed and plunge router always at the ready. I don't do inlay, which is what you are asking about, but I'm simply posting to confirm others' comments re the Dewalt 611.

It's excellent. Once you get familiar with it, it's just a joy to work with. You might want to also explore buying the round base which accepts Porter Cable collars which might be useful with inlay.

If you want to do very precision inlay work, I suggest you google up Micro Fence. I have used his products for many years and one can do first class work with his products. The dewalt/colt concerns are secondary issues if you go this route.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    I should have mentioned that I have a Pat Warner base on my colt. It accepts bushings.
    The base is a real improvement.

Blog Entries
    Here also. Pat's stuff is top quality.