Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bosch Colt Plunge vs Dewalt 611 for inlay work w guide bushings on box lids

For what it's worth I like the makita. We have a few in the shop and I either grab the makita or a ancient royobi only I like. I'm not a fan of the colt.

Quote Originally Posted by tom coleman View Post
    I am ready to purchase a small router for doing inlay work on box lids. I think both Bosch Colt w plunge base and Dewalt 611 are good choices but I am a neophyte w limited experience. What would a more experienced box maker choose

Not sure if this will help your decision, but I just bought the dewalt 611 combo kit on Amazon for $148. I couldn't beat that price anywhere, and having Prime makes it even better with free two day shipping. Amazon is offering $20 off $100 when you checkout.
    Last edited by Michael Alu; 05-23-2016 at 9:36 AM.

I just got one of those for my Dremel. I'm anxious to try it.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

DeWalt 611

I'll give 2 huge thumbs up to the DeWalt! I have had mine now for close to a year. I bought it through Amazon Prime as a kit with both bases, and I could not be happier. I have found that I use it far more often than my larger handheld router.
    I love having the choice of bases, the fixed base has the very useful feature of 3 straight sides on the baseplate. It helps greatly for setting up and tracking dadoes, flutes, and anything that you are using a straight edge for. The plunge base is excellent. It operates very smoothly and is easy to set-up & use. It has the perfect amount of power for most handheld work, and variable speed to help avoid burning sensitive woods like Cherry & Jatoba.
    I looked very carefully before purchasing a small router. I looked at the Colt and the Makita as well as the DeWalt, but only one had all of the features I was looking for. The DeWalt has been a wonderful addition to my workshop. I don't know how I got along without it.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn de Souza View Post
    I have the Colt from when it first came out and it has served me well, but when the DeWalt showed up on the scene I thought it was better because of the greater visibility of the see-through baseplate and the LED light. For inlay work, visibility is an important feature.

If you settle on the Colt, be aware that Bosch released word back in November that a new and improved Colt would be coming out, model#GKF125CEK. The new model will have the LED lighting and the polycarbonate base. Supposedly a better depth adjustment system and more power also. I have been watching to see when the retailers start offering the new model, but I haven't noticed anyone stocking it yet although Acme Tools will take a pre-order on it for $139. The press release said the old model will remain in the current line, maybe the price of the old one will drop? I am not sure if a plunge base will be available for the new Colt, but I would expect that it would.

From what little info I've found on the new Bosch router, I see no mention of a plunge base. I wonder if the new body will fit the existing plunge base. Acme Tools is saying end of 2016 for deliveries. I guess that's why there hasn't been a lot of chatter yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    How about a cordless Dremel with a plunge base...
    The Dremel plunge base is very flexible so precision is an issue. I moved to the Lee Valley Dremel base which is pretty nice. Regardless of how solid the base is Dremel's have a bit of flex in general. A little finesse can make this a very useful tool for detail work though.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I purchased one of those a few weeks ago and just had the opportunity to use it yesterday. I really like the base. It adjusts easily and accurately. I purchased the kit that includes the small air pump and was quite happy with that as well. It kept the area where I needed to be able to well cleaned so that I could see the line I was routing to (I was cleaning out an area for an inlay). That said, I think I would have preferred it if they had some sort of extractor hose connection instead of the air pump. Oh well, I guess next time I'll just work on my downdraft table instead of my bench.

Stew Hagerty