Thread: Make Oak Molding or Paint Grade?

Make Oak Molding or Paint Grade?

I removed base molding at the farm that was dark stained pine. The plan is to install oak hardwood floors and it's time to decide if we should simply use paint grade pine molding or upgrade to oak molding. The dark pine has to go as it clashes with the oak cabinets. I am also pondering installing crown molding to make the very basic house look a little nicer. What are your thoughts?

I would make all trim white. It is a nice clean look.

The times I have seen stained oak crown, I didnt like it. If I was going to put in crown, I'd paint it white and do white baseboards to match. But that's just me.

Good luck!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

White base/crown shouldn't bother anyone.
    If shoe molding is used with the base, my preference is same as floor but have seen a lot same as base. Either works

I don't see oak as an "upgrade" over paint. Crown by itself, as compared to a cornice, is greatly over used. If you have ceilings taller than 8 feet downstairs and any rooms of formal ,(symmetrical) layout, cornice is a nice improvement.

The only reason I am installing crown is the joint where the ceiling meets the walls. It leaves a great deal to be desired.

Depending on size of the crown, oak flexes a lot more seasonally than spliced paint grade. Your caulk (if you do that) will show cracks in the winter months. Other than that it's really personal preference and the feel of the room that would make the decision for me.

Paint grade gives more color options and can give a room more depth. Lots of variables that effect the overall feel of a room/home.
    -Lud

You could use a bed mould smaller than what the crown would need to be. And then ,maybe ,add a picture hanging moulding a little lower. That makes a wide band ...not "two small mouldings"