Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clean up /suck broom

Blog Entries
    Yes, but, isn't the clean air we breath while we are working with hand tools one of the major benefits? If ones shop has lots of concrete floor space and there are half a dozen or so canines running around looking for wood refuse to chew on, even hand tool shavings get converted to dust rapidly if not removed from the floor. One of the reasons I like hand tools is I can deal with the dust and shavings with a shop vac vs a complex high volume air filtration system. Read some of the recent posts on the general forum and workshop design forum. They have complex large duct work and Onedia...air filtration systems with hook ups at each power tool...apparently entire workshops are built around vacuum systems.

Blog Entries
    For the record, I have two shop vacs. I just don't consider them to be a prime tool in the shop. The filters I put in them keeps the air clean.

I guess I'm out of touch, but I probably will stay that way.

Wow, can't believe the responses. I just use a broom at the end of the day. Don't even need a dust pan as I installed a waste basket next to the the stairway so I can just sweep the shavings and dust off into the basket.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Lowell and Bob bring up a question here that I wonder about which may be a little off topic.

Certainly we all have our own specific reasons for the tools we are interested in at any particular time. I am getting a house ready to sell, doing projects like rebuilding porch railings & steps, replacing/repairing wood damage. There will be remodeling at the new house & the shop space and building furniture. I do a fair amount of my own construction, electrical and plumbing work. I have Six German Shepherds and three Lancashire Heelers and there are frequently six or more in & out of the house. Cleaning up dog hair is a constant battle. My interest in shop vacuums runs a little deeper than just cleaning up hand plane shavings as I thought it might for others.

Many of the tools I use for woodworking are used for other duties as well: sharpening, screw drivers, drills, hatchets, axes, adzes, knives, some chisels... brooms, dust pans, paint brushes, pencils, rulers, squares, nail sets...glues, paint, finishes, oils...still I try to buy tools that work well for woodworking. I thought other posters would be similar in their use of their tools? Is it inappropriate to discuss screw drivers (manual vs electric), sharpening devices (manual & electric), or work benches because they may be used for something other than hand tool woodworking?

I get the idea that this is a "hand tool" forum. Still do we not discuss: lighting, electrical, water access (plumbing), any electric tool. How about shop design, project lay out, furniture design. Sure there may be forums for some of these topics but is it irrelevant to discuss hand tools in reference to these topics? Do we want to limit our scope or broaden it?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-23-2016 at 10:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I got the Nilfisk vacuum today. Turns out the stainless steel bottom section is the emptying bucket. I was very happy to find out that all my Festool attachments fit on the Nilfisk. The extension tubes for the Festool kit I bought actually fit better/tighter on the Nilfisk, so I can use the Festool floor sweeper on the Nilfisk. The 27 and 36mm Festool hoses both fit on the Nilfisk, as does the large hose from my old 18 gal machine. Everything I have in attachments and suction tubes work with the Nilfisk, a major bonus. I used it today without a bag and did not seem to have a problem with the air quality or odor. I think all the bags I have for my old machines will fit on the Nilfisk too.

I am happy to have found a great vac for general clean up that will work with the large ducts on my bandsaw and lunchbox planer and turn on & off with my smaller electric tools too. I can use it: as a bagless vac, with a bag, with a HEPA filter... depending on the job.

Many thanks to Matt and Eric for pointing me in the direction of Nilfisk. I agree with Eric I don't think you can beat these machines for" compatibility, design, features.....I am a happy camper.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-25-2016 at 8:32 AM.