Thread: Table top grain direction?

Table top grain direction?

I'm planning an end table that will be approximately 12" wide by 18" deep. Is it "ok" to have the grain run front to back...leaving end grain at the front of the table? I can't find many examples of this and maybe it just isn't "right" to do so. Thoughts?
    Thanks!

End grain can be a nice design element. Sanded to a high grit, 800 - 1000, it takes on glowing translucent appearance it looks great. Make sure the panel joints are tight and evenly spaced, they show. I haven't found any end grain I didn't like. What kind of wood?
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Thanks Bill. It's Koa that's been in a neighbors garage for some 10 years. I resawed it to 1" thick and waiting to see if it bows or twists before dimensioning...don't really know what it looks like yet.

koa is gorgeous wood..I would not just leave a 90 on the ends. I would cut the ends at an angle to show the koa figure ..it should look wonderful.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I'm a big fan of doing the unexpected with wood grain. IMHO - YES it is OK .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge