Thread: Side beaders

Side beaders

Hi all, I've been starring at an iron for a beading plane (I can't remember how I came by it) for a while now and I have decided to make a body for it. Any tips?
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Maybe an image of the blade would help.

If it is a side beading plane most of those use boxing on the side away from the fence.

Also if you have a plane that can cut a flute complementary to the bead it would be a lot of help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sorry for the wait, I put it in the shop the other day and now I can't find it. But here's what the iron looks like and what body it would go in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brent Cutshall; 05-23-2016 at 9:53 AM.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    It looks like the blade might fit one of the bodies you have.

The point on the side of the blade away from the plane body's fence should have a slight flat to help form a smooth quirk. The side also needs a slight bevel and a well formed arris to keep the wall of the quirk smooth and well formed.

Interested in seeing how it goes for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you haven't made a hollow & round pair, the source material for those will be a big help. DVD's by Todd Herli (simple) and Larry Williams (comprehensive) are common starting points.

If you've made an H&R pair, I've got one tip to offer. I used a box joint blade pair (1/4" and 3/8") on my table saw to make the groove for the boxing before any of the mortising or shaping of the bottom profile.
    AKA - "The human termite"