Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any guess as to what type of metal this is?

Any guess as to what type of metal this is?

If any of you have been to EPCOT, there's a section called "Leave a Legacy" where families could have their photos placed on this metal. The first thing I'm trying to figure out is what type of metal is this?

normal_WDW_Epcot_Leave_a_Legacy.jpg
    leave a legacy.jpg

Second, if you can tell from the images what type of metal this is, where would I purchase a blank, let's say, 6" X 6" blank? Lastly, what would you mark this with (Cermark, Thermark)?

The story is my best friend lost his dad 2 days ago, and I'm wanting to replicate this from a pic that I have of this. He and his dad were huge Disney fans, and he loves the pic. These tiles are very small (maybe 2" x 2"), but I'm wanting to go 6" X 6" or possibly larger. I would like to give this to him as a memorial type of gift, but this is not an area that I have any knowledge of.

My guesses are either stainless steel or aluminum.

Thanks!
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

based on your closeup photo, it screams 'photo engraving' to me-- Which means the metal is photo-sensitive aluminum, and it appears they're oxidizing the raised spots...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Whatever it is, it's very durable because it's out in the elements 24/7. For this gift though, It's going to be framed. It doesn't have to be exact I guess, but I want it to look as close to it as I can get it.
    CorelDraw X7

I'm with Kev, doesn't look like a laser process to me although given that it's Epcot it could have been done with a Neutron collider
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    I'm with Kev, doesn't look like a laser process to me although given that it's Epcot it could have been done with a Neutron collider
    Tomorrowland is real!

I guess the bottom line is, can I replicate this look with a laser, some Cer/Thermark, and either a blank of stainless or aluminum? I think so, but this is not the type of engraving I normally do.

Update: So someone that is very familiar with Disney says that it's supposed to be stainless steel. One step closer!
    Last edited by Jacob John; 05-23-2016 at 7:43 AM.
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Whatever it is, it's very durable because it's out in the elements 24/7.

Aluminum fits that bill. It usually develops a dull grey patina of oxidation on the surface, and that's it. It doesn't continue to corrode like many ferrous alloys.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Aluminum fits that bill. It usually develops a dull grey patina of oxidation on the surface, and that's it. It doesn't continue to corrode like many ferrous alloys.
    That's what makes me doubt that it's stainless. Reminds me of old fishing equipment as it stays out in the weather.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on lasering am image like that? I know it isn't the same process, but I'm sure I can get close.
    CorelDraw X7

1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I'd lean toward MetalPhoto.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    Don't turn me on to any more potential business expansions!

Anyone want to take a shot at tips on how to attempt replicating it with the Speedy? Any direct, low minimum order, metal plate distributors out there?
    CorelDraw X7

I agree with Metal photo. A photographic emulsion coated on aluminum. Exposed and developed like photographic paper then boiled in a salt solution to form an anodized layer over the the surface. It is very durable and will last a long time outside.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Jacob
    Your best chance with your laser is with stainless steel and Cermark. There are local distributors who can supply the metal. I'd be inclined to ask for ss with a #4 brush finish though you can get a mill finish if you choose.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Those pictures can be done on stainless or aluminum using Cermark, would be pretty easy actually. The hard part is getting your photo to look like those, but lets see...

Ok, I took this picture:

and a half hour later I came up with this...

I'm not all that great with fixing photos, but not bad? I used Corel PaintShopPro x4, it does a great job of removing the background- Getting the 'coloring book' look was a bit tough and took the most time. "Chisel" did the outline, which is a good thing or there wouldn't have been any!

This just Cermark on a small beat-up piece of mill finish stainless. I could do the same on aluminum with the Triumph. I engrave a lot of aluminum with Cermark, but only my 80w Triumph will do it. Taking some aluminum and micro-bead blasting it would look just like the 'metal in question'... If you have it Chem-filmed it'll be fine forever in the weather... --would be no problem to upsize to 6x6 either...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 05-23-2016 at 11:46 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Those pictures can be done on stainless or aluminum using Cermark, would be pretty easy actually. The hard part is getting your photo to look like those, but lets see...

Ok, I took this picture:

and a half hour later I came up with this...

I'm not all that great with fixing photos, but not bad? I used Corel PaintShopPro x4, it does a great job of removing the background- Getting the 'coloring book' look was a bit tough and took the most time. "Chisel" did the outline, which is a good thing or there wouldn't have been any!

This just Cermark on a small beat-up piece of mill finish stainless. I could do the same on aluminum with the Triumph. I engrave a lot of aluminum with Cermark, but only my 80w Triumph will do it. Taking some aluminum and micro-bead blasting it would look just like the 'metal in question'... If you have it Chem-filmed it'll be fine forever in the weather... --would be no problem to upsize to 6x6 either...
    That looks pretty good! I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see how it comes out. I only have a pic of the finished image though, so I wonder how the machine will handle it, considering it isn't the highest quality image. We'll see soon
    CorelDraw X7

For what it's worth, here's some of the various stages of fixing the photo--

Removed background-
    branjie0.jpg

grayscale--
    branjie4.jpg

added 'chisel' outline
    branjie7.jpg

adjusted brightess/contrast (shot in the dark stuff!)
    branjie5.jpg

more contrast adjustments, reduced to 4 colors, cleaned up the chiseled edges-- this is what I engraved from
    branjie8.jpg

--- I'm sure some people, and/or programs can get close to my final result very quickly with a good 'coloring book' routine...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter