Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any guess as to what type of metal this is?

So a quick update, Disney went above and beyond, searched through their archives and found both the source photo and tile photo. We're talking about pics from 14 years ago, from a program that ended in 2007. I can't wait to give it a shot and I'll post the pics once I'm done. Can't wait!
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Anyone have any suggestions on cutting. 025" (.635mm) thick aluminum? I don't think hand shears will work.
    CorelDraw X7

You can cut .040" aluminum with engraver's type metal shears. Here's a good one from Johnson Plastics

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/engra...12-metal-shear
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-25-2016 at 4:56 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

do you mean .25 alum how bout a Jig saw or scroll saw with fine tooth metal blade I cut .125 steel on my scrollsaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions on cutting. 025" (.635mm) thick aluminum? I don't think hand shears will work.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    do you mean .25 alum how bout a Jig saw or scroll saw with fine tooth metal blade I cut .125 steel on my scrollsaw
    The product description says .025". It's LaserBlak sheets. I bought an 14 gauge electric metal shear and it was garbage, but this is a one off memorial gift so it's not a huge deal I guess. If I ever decide to do this for my business, I'm going to buy a more precise piece of equipment.
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    The product description says .025". It's LaserBlak sheets. I bought an 14 gauge electric metal shear and it was garbage, but this is a one off memorial gift so it's not a huge deal I guess. If I ever decide to do this for my business, I'm going to buy a more precise piece of equipment.
    You could have used a utility knife and straight edge to make the "cut". Then just sand the edges down a bit.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Pontianak, West Borneo. Cimahi, West Java-Indonesia
    Try aluminium. Spray paint it with spray paint all around to the back and side. And then mark it with laser. Low power. Just enough to remove paint chose one with your needed durability rating.

After getting the right image, but not in reverse, you go get some NaOH, soda ash, i think... u can get from supermarkets. Those that

Mix with water. Need not be particular with concentration. Just dump till it is warm and not too hot. Just normal room temp water to warm and immerse. U will see hydrogen. It is reacting with the alum. Open room is good for explosion prevention. And please dont smoke while doing this.

The NaOH will not affect paint. But will eat away aluminium, giving a very beautifully clean satin finish. Keep agitating to prevent pitting and dimpling and to speed up process.

3 minutes or until you get it deep enough. Quench with lotsa cool water and you are done.

Marco, and I suppose other suppliers, sell an outdoor gloss black laserable aluminum-- PN 8114-6 on page 24 in the 2016 Marco catalog--

I've been using this stuff for a couple of years, it's perfect for this- it's .040" thick, the gloss black surface is close to semi-gloss in my opinion- lasers easily and the resuting silver isn't all that glossy. You would simply need to run the engraving in negative leave the black remaining while the laser creates the 'white'.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks everyone. I ended up using the LaserBlak and it came out great. The cut was pretty much garbage, but since I ended up framing and matting it, you don't see the edges anyway. I'll try and post a few pics soon. I'll be giving it to him this weekend.
    CorelDraw X7