Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new project letters burnt

new project letters burnt

I'm trying to vector engrave some small letters in a key fob even at 100 % spd and 10% pwr the letters are a bit burnt. 10% is the lowest I cab set my power and still fire laser. Is there anything I can do to get a lighter cut line??
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You need an attenuator Bert, it's a lens that goes in the optical path and reduces the power of the beam it allows to pass through. Usually water cooled but it's the only real way to drop the power below the tube minimum
    You did what !

Thanx Dave I'll look it up see if I can find one

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    You need an attenuator Bert, it's a lens that goes in the optical path and reduces the power of the beam it allows to pass through. Usually water cooled but it's the only real way to drop the power below the tube minimum
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Didn't find a whole lot of places that sell them and what I did find didn't show price's ,So that kinda tells me their expensive .
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

what are you calling 100% speed bert? What mm/s? Is this a wood fob? If so 60watt should be fine for it.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Try raster engraving rather than vector. Type in your text. Set the stroke to a reasonable width. Convert stroke to curves. Vector engrave it. You'll get more control over the power and speed.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Can you put a sacrificial layer between, like masking tape, to take some of the heat off the cut line?
    Something just thick enough to reduce the power getting to the plastic...

Would it be an option to soak or spray the leather before engraving?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

+1 on putting tape on them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Makrel Johnson View Post
    Can you put a sacrificial layer between, like masking tape, to take some of the heat off the cut line?
    great idea!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

A lot of the problem brother is with small vector engraves the laser has to fire at the start of the line, if the letters are small (1.5mm or less) a lot of heat will build up in the project.
    You did what !

I don't understand what your telling me here

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Try raster engraving rather than vector. Type in your text. Set the stroke to a reasonable width. Convert stroke to curves. Vector engrave it. You'll get more control over the power and speed.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Keith its leather and I don't really know what the mmps is as speed is set by %.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    what are you calling 100% speed bert? What mm/s? Is this a wood fob? If so 60watt should be fine for it.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for this Idea I'll try masking.

I just tried masking tape and that made a real mess on the leather, waters not an option because the leather is treated and will just roll off and not be even. I'll try some different tape maybe painters tape not so sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrel Johnson View Post
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 05-23-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Keith its leather and I don't really know what the mmps is as speed is set by %.
    Lasercut is set mm per second Bert, that may be a lot of the problem
    You did what !