Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So... collision avoidance?

So... collision avoidance?

I posted this same question 5 months ago, but will be buying a new car next week and still can't make my mind up.

I am getting a Mazda CX3; I chose that because I really need the blind spot monitoring.
    I don't need collision avoidance or lane departure warning, but since I will be driving this car for the foreseeable future, I want to get it right.

They would cost me $5,000 more. (yes, that $5,000 also gets me a sun roof, navigation, pandora etc. etc; but none of it has any value to me.)
    The salesman I spoke to says that collision avoidance is only useful on cruise control (which I don't use) and lane departure warning are generally annoying.
    He recommended I save my money.

That was your general consensus 5 months ago, but I just can't make up my mine.

Any strong opinions? (yes, I do own a sawstop; why do you ask?)

My mother in law has it in her Lexus and when I drive that car, I find it distracting. She is elderly, however, and swears by it.

This is just my opinion: Modern cars are generally mechanically sound and if there are going to be problems, it will be with the electronics and usually, such electronics are non-serviceable. In other words, you can't fix it. You replace it and generally, such component modules have no aftermarket alternative, so you are locked into buying from the dealership at dealership prices. When we bought our Mini Cooper, the dealer tried to talk me into all these electronics like backup camera, integrated iphone with the car's head unit, etc. I'm not opposed to those technologies but would want the option to be able to repair them myself or have aftermarket options that did not require me being on hook with the dsealership. And lo and behold, if I go on the Mini forums, what are owners having problems with? The electronics. And a trip to the dealership. Even if it's under warranty, it's still a trip to the dealership. And you know what happens once it goes out of warranty. Anyhow, my personal preference is to keep cars as analog as possible but that may be hard to do these days. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

We have the blind stop warning and back up camera/warning on our Altima.

My wife loves it.

It was annoying for me at first, but then once I got used to it, I loved it.

When I drive my car, I miss it.

For $5K, I'd probably pass. What I want in a car electronics is the ability to connect my iPhone to the display so that I can use my iPhone navigation - that is, show on the car screen exactly what I see on my iPhone. My iPhone navigation is always up to date and I already know how to use it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Someone is going to get into an accident and sue the car companies because the car didn't prevent it.
    All of these gadgets are a replacement for good driving.
    Maybe these things are being added because of all of the texting by drivers.

I see a problem with the automatic braking on the new cars. On a tv commercial there is a car that gets cut off and it stops when the car stops in front of it. I can see this feature being used be some evil people.

I have a dash cam that includes a "too close" alert signal, but of course, it doesn't brake for you.

I wouldnt pay $5000 to get that, if you find no value in the other things you get with it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My MIL is past driving,so I have been taking her '95 Buick Park Ave when going out of town to archery tourneys.This car exudes, "old driver" at the wheel.

Hit the cruise,and weave just a touch whilst flying up the highways see's other drivers not getting any where close...funny actually.

My last trip;had to take my sons push mower back so,had the handle hanging out of the trunk.Had the rd to myself?There's more than one way to skin a cat?Old Buick's are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For $5K, I'd probably pass. What I want in a car electronics is the ability to connect my iPhone to the display so that I can use my iPhone navigation - that is, show on the car screen exactly what I see on my iPhone. My iPhone navigation is always up to date and I already know how to use it.

Mike
    Agreed. That's about the extent of the infotainment I would want in a new car. I don't see a point to much of the other stuff if you're paying attention like you should be while driving. And a good Bluetooth system of course.

Personally...I think that if you need the car to tell you that you are driving too close or going out of your lane you should be taking the bus....

I have collision avoidance (and adaptive cruise) on my Grand Cherokee Summit and when we recently purchased Professor Dr. SWMBO's new Outback Limited I made sure it was equipped with the Eyesight system. I'm a believer...the combination of collision warning/avoidance, blind spot detection and AAC have saved my bacon a bunch of times over the past few years. I wouldn't buy a vehicle without it at this point if given the choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The 2 things I really like on my Expedition that I thought I would never use are the rear view camera and the beeper that goes off when you get within about 2 feet from something in front of you. The rear view camera really gives you a wide angle view, better than you get from looking to one side or the other. The beeper that warns you when you are getting close is great my depth perception is not as good as it was 50 years ago and without it I would often find that when parking I would think I was as close to an object in front of me only to find out that I was still 4 to 5 feet away from it. (this is only a problem from a distance of about 5 to 10 feet. The Doctor says this is common after cataract surgery.)

How bad a driver are you? How continually attentive are you to every situation on the road? How bad a driver is likely to be driving this car, ie: wife, daughter, son, etc? How continually attentive are they? Depending on your answer you will see the need for something like this.

I have the backup sensors on my pickup truck and love them. A camera would be handy too but costly. The adaptive cruise control is also a good item.
    All of the othe new gadgets just perpetuate inattentive bad driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    How bad a driver are you? How continually attentive are you to every situation on the road? How bad a driver is likely to be driving this car, ie: wife, daughter, son, etc? How continually attentive are they? Depending on your answer you will see the need for something like this.
    In 40 years of car ownership I have never hit another car or driven off the road. (I've been rear ended 5 times, but nothing will prevent that)
    My wife has a nasty tailgating habit, but has never hit anything except a deer and a dog; the system won't prevent those.

But I can envision looking at the GPS while the guy in front of me slams his brakes on. It has never happened; but wouldn't I feel silly if it did!