Thread: Finally Unwrapped My Christmas Present

Finally Unwrapped My Christmas Present

Got this gifted to me for Christmas and for about 10,000 reason didn't do anything with it until getting a wild hair today. Best cherry burl I've ever worked with. Couple defect here and there but has to be high figure in about 95% of this wood. No punky spots, just hard solid wood. Had to skim a little bit off the side to allow my 20" bar to cut it in half but should get some nice bowls, vases & spheres out of this. Guess I know what I'll be doing this long weekend.

CB 1.jpgCB 2.jpgCB 3.jpgCB 4.jpgCB 5.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Wow David beautiful wood. Looks like you got a ton of pieces to work with. Can't wait to see some of the finished pieces.

Time to have fun now!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Wow David beautiful wood. Looks like you got a ton of pieces to work with. Can't wait to see some of the finished pieces.Time to have fun now!Mike
    I can't wait either Mike but it will probably be awhile since I prefer to twice turn. I was a little surprised that even though this burl is 6 or 7 years old, it's moisture content was still 30% near the center and high teens near the outside. A couple of the pieces have a shape that look okay to core and maybe I'll once turn a couple of the smaller cores.

[QUOTE=Mike Goetzke;2568200]Wow David beautiful wood. Looks like you got a ton of pieces to work with. Can't wait to see some of the finished pieces.

Time to have fun now!

Took a couple pieces of the skim-cuts from shaping the burl and sliced & diced them up on the bandsaw. Couldn't tell much from the pics I posted yesterday but these give you an idea of the figure throughout this entire batch. The shop's going to smell nice this weekend.
    cbh 1.jpgcbh 2.jpg

That is some sweet stuff there.

Nice David. You should have a Fun weekend with all that beautiful wood.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Nice David. You should have a Fun weekend with all that beautiful wood.
    Yea Dok.......I should have Fun this weekend. Something about me making plans for myself in the shop that brings out the best in the Honey-Do list or one of the g-kids tries to flush a grapefruit down the toilet or some similar catastrophe.