Thread: Ryobi Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Kit

Ryobi Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Kit

This was an impulse buy. I needed to go to Home Depot for some things.

I always wanted to pick up an Impact Driver and saw this kit in store.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...P882/203406854
    Ryobi Model #P882

Anyone own this set and give a first hand opinion? The on-line reviews are mostly very good.

I have owned a Ryobi 14.4 volt drill driver (Old blue color) for years Before they offered the 18 volt ONE PLUS system. I have been 100% happy with it. Only have replaced one of the batteries (Ni Cad) in all that time. Still usable today but don't hold a charge long.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Ryobi is very much like Ridgid consumer tools. They actually make many of the tools sold under the Ridgid name by HD. Not the professional Ridgid tools.

Many of their tools are excellent for the price and people seem to like them. Just bear in mind that there will be less stability in the line than in the more professional lines. That pair is certainly good tools for the $100.

Almost all of my cordless tools are Ryobi One+ 18v. There are two models of impact driver, I have the P236 which is the bare tool. I don't understand why they package a different model as part of the kits. Anyway, I am very happy with all of my Ryobi tools for what they do. If I used cordless tools day-to-day as a professional, I would probably not invest any money in Ryobi, but they are great for the homeowner and occasional user. I have an 18V sawzall that I bought in 2004 before they started calling their line "One+" and it is still going strong - not bad for something I expected to use for one or two jobs and destroy it in the process.

Edit: Apparently there are some new models out, so there are more than two impact drivers bearing the Ryobi name. I think they also made one with the blue and yellow colors at one point. I really like mine and was just griping the other day that I should have bought another, they were on sale for $60 a few weeks ago and it's nice to have ones with different bits loaded - say for drilling pocket holes and driving the screws. Or in my case, two people on ladders trying to fasten something overhead and you have to share one tool.
    Last edited by Jon Endres; 05-24-2016 at 10:04 AM.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

They may be made by the same company in china, but are owned and designed by different companies. Ryobi is owned by Techtronic Industries based in Hong Kong and Ridgid is owned by Emmerson based in St. Louis. Ridgid stuff is generally higher quality than Ryobi. I find Ryobi stuff to be less precise than almost any other brand, for occasional use they are just fine.

I have had Ryobi 18v +One tools for many years.
    Recently the lithium batteries and not taking a charge. I have several chargers to work from and not even my newest batteries will charge and they are about 6 months old.
    I have boxed all the Ryobi tools up and will be taking them back to HD for warranty repair or replacement.

On a side note:
    About a year ago I purchased the Porter Cable 20v Max drill/drive and impact driver. I am extremely pleased with their performance.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

TTI and OWT

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    They may be made by the same company in china, but are owned and designed by different companies. Ryobi is owned by Techtronic Industries based in Hong Kong and Ridgid is owned by Emmerson based in St. Louis. Ridgid stuff is generally higher quality than Ryobi. I find Ryobi stuff to be less precise than almost any other brand, for occasional use they are just fine.
    You're close:

TechTronic Industries (TTI) outright owns Ryobi and Milwaukee tools (among other brands), either directly or through another subsidiary named One World Technologies. The chain of ownership is a little confusing, but they own them one way or the other, and manufacture them in Asia. Ryobi power tools also appears to be a licensing trademark agreement with the Ryobi conglomerate, as Ryobi is also a larger independent (?) company that builds a wide variety of equipment (electronics, printing press equipment, etc.).

TTI licenses the RIDGID name from Ridge Tool Co. (USA) and then builds and sells the power hand and stationary tools under the naming license. Ridge Tool has nothing to do with those tools other than the naming rights. Ridge Tool retained the plumbing/pro tools they are known for and build them in the USA.

I'm not sure who ultimately builds the RIDGID vacuums. The last I read was that Emerson Electric built them, but I don't know if they are independent or owned by someone else abroad.

I have a whole pile of the Ryobi One+ tools and think they are a decent value, especially if you need some of the specialized tools. The right angle drill and attractive cost is what got me here, wasn't available in Milwaukee or Ridgid at the time. Plus if I lose them or break them I'm not out a ton of money, although if you buy any of the saws then also buy a couple of the heavier batteries. They will empty the smaller, lighter batteries pretty quickly (all saws of any brand do).

The Porter-Cable set mentioned above it nice, my uncle uses it. They are definitely more expensive than the Ryobi, though, and I don't know how much better they are. You can probably bet that the battery cells in the packs are all made in the same factory(ies) as everyone else, so I wouldn't imagine that they'd perform or last much different at this level of tool. If you move up to Hilti, Festool, and other pro level tools I think you'd notice a difference in longevity and performance. Even then there are only so many battery manufacturers in the world, so it all depends on the specs requested to be built to.

The thing I like about Ryobi 18V battery handtools is that they have kept the batteries compatible through many generations. You can use an old Ni-Cad in new tools or a new Li-Ion in an old tool. That and they seem to keep replacement batteries available at reasonable prices too. (I'm sick to death of buying the "best" or "professional" model, using it occasionally, and then finding a replacement battery will cost significant more than I got the tool for, if it is still available at all.)

That said, my sample has just visible runout in the chuck, but my hand holding is still the limit in use, and Ryobi does seem to roll model numbers every 4-6 months for trivial, or not even apparent, changes.

the company I worked for bought about 12 Ryobi drills as the we were doing work for TTI corp and they said that they would not allow Dewalt or Bosch drills on there trade show display. The Ryobi's didn't hold up very well.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 05-25-2016 at 7:34 AM.

We have a group that builds handicap ramps as part of Texas Ramp Project, and have 2 sets of the Ryobi drill/impact kits along with additional batteries and a 6 battery charger. We use a #9x3" screw and both impact and drill do well. I would be tempted to change for my own use except for starting with a different brand and now have multiple tools/batteries. The Ryobi 1 system has a lot of optional pieces and the little circular saw is handy.

Thanks for the feed back.
    Like I said in my op. I have used Ryobi for years and like it very much. The reason I did the impulse buy.
    Hope this set is as good as my old set.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have that drill and I have an earlier blue version of the impact driver. I have a bunch of the other 18V tools too and three of the batteries. Two batteries have charge indicators and seem to hold a charge a bit longer than the one without this feature. All the tools are usefull and if they break I will replace them with more Ryobis. The drill is powerfull. I bored 1 inch holes in as many as 5 side by side 2x4s with it while wiring my shop. The impact driver is fine for screws but depleted batteries quickly when we tried it on lag bolts (a HF impact wrench worked a lot better). I am confident you will find them usefull.