Thread: What are these?

What are these?

Bought a lot of old tools yesterday....Along with it came these unkown tools.
    Looks like maybe a measuring device. They are made by Luvkin.
    Any ideas? Thank you guys...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry

They are machinist's parallels in different sizes, except for the two strips in the center of the picture. I have no idea what those are.
    Lufkin made high- quality precision tools in competition with Starrett and Brown & Sharpe.
    Rick W

The two strips in the middle are also likely fixed parallels. The other parallels are adjustable which are more expensive than a set of the fixed "height" parallels.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

They look like some kind of machinist angled parallel bars.

The 2 fixed strips looks to me as if they were used as a small "screwdriver" to loosen the small bolt that tightens down the 2 movable parts..Just my opinion. I used them as such and it worked well.
    Thanks for your comments....I'm learning.
    Jerry

Thank you men.....Good info.
    Jerry

As said the angled 2 piece ones are adjustable parallels made by LUFKIN,who used to make tools as good as Starrett. They are also good for measuring the width of slots or DADOES in your case,if you have a dial caliper or a micrometer to go with them.The ones with holes I am not sure of. Parallels do not have those angled ends,or usually with holes,nor not so THIN(as opposed to wide. I do have a set of spring blued parallels with the spring blue finish.

I am suspicious that they may be GIBS from some machine. But,those old fashioned style gibs nearly always have drill point "dents" cut a little way into them to receive the set screws. Better gibs are tapered in thickness,and adjusted via a screw that rides in a squared notch in the thicker end,and are pushed in or out of the dovetail to tighten or loosen it. A LOT easier to adjust! But,I have seen none of those either with angled end.

So,I doubt they are gibs either. Probably made for some special application that we will never know.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-18-2016 at 8:07 PM.