Thread: Music stand question

Music stand question

Hello all – I’m looking for a way to attach two 3/16” rods to hold sheet music on this music stand desk. See Attention to Details
    http://www.thejollydesign.com/#!Attention%20to%20details/zoom/c21j9/image_2130

What do you think of cable protective sleeves? Would they work? The inner diameter of these sleeves is 0.21”, i.e. a little under 1/4”.
    http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Sle.../dp/B00IX4BJLO
    Last edited by Kim Metzger; 05-24-2016 at 5:23 PM.

Kim,

Beautiful design. I think I'm going to use this as a starting point for my wife's next holiday present

The protective sleeves that you've identified look like they might work, though they might be a little too large. I'm also guessing that you'll need to either have some form of threaded attachment for the ends of the hold down rods or else some kind of insert or coating to ensure that there's a frictional fit, so the hold downs can be rotated into place but still retain their position.

You could combine Mike's two ideas into one, put a thread on the end of the rods and run them through a rubber grommet with a nut and washer on the back of the stand, that would hold and stay fitted nicely. Fit the grommet on the hole drilled through the horizontal piece of the lectern.

I may try one of these stands as well, nice find.

Use Chicago Screws.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Beautiful stand for a cello...looks like fun to make!

Curiosity got the best of me and I just had to look up "chicago screws" and now I have a name for something I am familiar with. Cool!

Chicago Screws

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Have a granddaughter who is an avid cello player and loves this stand. Are there plans and/or measurements available anywhere? Thanks.

Thanks to everybody for your ideas. Still working on this issue. The arms are important because the lectern is at a steep angle and the notes would fall off without them. The solution must also be attractive looking. There are no plans or measurements.