Thread: Ryobi ONE + system tools. Buy or don't buy

Ryobi ONE + system tools. Buy or don't buy

The Ryobi ONE + tools.

With so many tools offered in the 18 volt line for purchase, was wondering what have you purchased and turned out to be good and what was bad?
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 05-24-2016 at 9:23 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have a string trimmer for the yard from them... my daughter has a drill, saw, and light combo from them. They work... but a couple of issues, the batteries don't seem to hold a charge all that long, or at least I don't get very good run times out of the tools, string trimmer is sufficient to get around the yard. My biggest issue, is the batteries can be almost impossible to get your hands around, push the two plastic buttons and pull the battery out. The string trimmer is so tight and stiff to get the battery out that the wife holds the trimmer while I pull and tug to get the battery loose.

I much prefer my Bosch 18V tools where the batteries slide on and have one easy to push button to lock/unlock.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

What a great question. The convenience is so tempting. But you know at that price point the quality just can't be that great. I'm as cheap as they come, but I have learned yoy get what yoy pay for. Hopefully, we'll get some more reviews.

Whatever you go with stick with that system. I agree with that idea. I've used DeWalt Cordless tools since I was a teenager and had good success so I've stuck with it. The kits are more expensive though. Generally I'm not a huge fan of Ryobi but I've heard it's good for infrequent use.

I have most of the Ryobi woodworking 18V tools and I like them. My corded tools will do more demanding things but most of the time the cordless Ryobi will do what I want to do. I reach for them first. I have no regrets.

I love mine.

I started out with a combo set with a drill, flashlight, 5¼ circular saw, and a radio that my wife bought for a Christmas present in 2007. It had a NiCd battery that was ok for a while. I think it lasted about two years before I gave up trying to use it. I started buying Li-ION replacements. Recently, a friend gave me a few tools he no longer used because he doesn't want to spend the $$ to replace the batteries and my BIL gave me a next-to-new string trimmer. So, I now have two drills, two circular saws, two sawzalls, two string trimmers (one crapped out recently, but it's 8 years old), the flashlight, and a brad nailer, and five working Li-ION batteries. I bought my latest two batteries at Christmas when the BORG had them 2 for $99 like they do every year. I've punished the original drill I got for Christmas - metal, concrete, wood, 4" screws, whatever I needed, it has done and it's still going strong.

Home Depot is having a Ryobi Days sale. Couldn't find an end date for the sale.
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 05-25-2016 at 8:10 PM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I tried Ryobi and found out you get what you pay for.

I've had a cordless drill for 8 years, and a string trimmer for 5. The batteries (2 Ni-Cad, 1 L-ion) are still good.
    Yep. I got what I paid for.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Used to have Bosch, died. Hitachi, died. Ryobi, not dead yet. I have a lot of Ryobi stuff, it's all I use for cordless tools. If you keep your expectations relatively low, you won't be disappointed. I started out with a Sawzall and it is now 12 years old and still going strong. Next was a right-angle drill, still use it. Then a hammer drill and a regular cordless drill, still use both, especially the hammer drill. Also had a 5-1/2" cordless saw, got rid of it because it was pathetic. Also had a little vacuum that was also pathetic. Bought the 18v cordless caulking gun, sold it after I did one job because I didn't think I'd need it again, still wish I had it. Have also purchased the small leaf blower which is great for starting the woodstove or cleaning the shop floor, the jigsaw which is great, so is the impact driver. I also have the Bluetooth radio, the flashlight and the LED lantern.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

My experience has been that the batteries don't hold up well, and the tools are average. I've had better luck with Hitachi for lower cost cordless tools.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I have most of the Ryobi woodworking 18V tools and I like them. My corded tools will do more demanding things but most of the time the cordless Ryobi will do what I want to do. I reach for them first. I have no regrets.
    I also have most of the Ryobi 18V tools. I have a large yard (2 1/2 acres of lawn for weed eater, etc.) and I also use their power tools in my shop. First ones I go to in almost any operation. I especially like the new brad nail set. I recently installed 72 spindles on my cabin deck using the same battery. Keep at least 2 spare batteries and they should be enough. Just my 2cents.

IMHO there's one reason to have the Ryobi system - that's the 18g Airstrike brad nailer. (if a cordless/hoseless brad nailer is useful to you) That thing is pretty darn good for the price and actually better in many ways than its more expensive competitors. Would it stand up to daily use (2,000 nails per day) on jobsites? Perhaps not. But for a hobbyist/homeowner, it's quite good.

If you use them lightly, they are ok. You want decent life, you have to pay. I use Milwaukee after previously using Makita and would never go back. My son uses Ryobi for his 23 screws a year and loves it. Cheers