Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youve got to be kidding

There are woodworkers and then there are tool collectors. Sometimes people are both but it is more likely that a tool collector would pay that much for a square. The best woodworkers I know do not have the most expensive tools.

Chris Vesper is still selling mostly squares,and I'll bet that a lot of them never get used. Same goes for Bridge City. Their tools are all over Ebay,and 99% have never been used,it seems.(Actually,I'd have to do complex counts and draw complicated graphs to prove that.)

I think that most woodworkers have a bit of collectors' blood in them. When I see pictures of tool cabinets made by guys here,I often see 20 crosscut and rip saws! and as many planes as well!!

I have a LOT more tools than I need,but I've admitted that I am a tool pig.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-27-2016 at 7:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have a LOT more tools than I need,but I've admitted that I am a tool pig.
    George, I can just see us at a TPA meeting… "Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a tool pig." "Hi Jim."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is actually very simple. One either side of the threaded apparatus that holds the blade in place are raised metal bosses (lands or other names may apply). If the angle of the beam (ruler?) to the head is greater than 90º, the one between the holding device and the work needs to have a little filed off. If the angle is less than 90º then the boss on the far side of the holding device needs to have a touch of metal removed. Use a file like an auger file with safe sides.

Also go slow and check after each stroke. You will be surprised how fast things change.

Hope this helps,

jtk
    This is exactly right.

I'd add that if the mfr didn't bother to machine those properly to begin with then there will almost invariably be other problems as well (blade not straight, 90- and 45-deg surfaces not machined flat, "45 deg" surface not at 45 deg to the 90 deg surface, etc). Sometimes you get lucky, usually not.