Thread: Finish question

Blog Entries

Finish question

I began my turning hobby using polyurathane as a finish. Then I heard about boiled linsead oil and I used it for a while. Shortly thereafter I switched to tung oil finish. I understand that I can't use tung over poly, but I have several pieces I'd like to add more coats to that are finished with BLO. Can I use tung over BLO? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I began my turning hobby using polyurathane as a finish. Then I heard about boiled linsead oil and I used it for a while. Shortly thereafter I switched to tung oil finish. I understand that I can't use tung over poly, but I have several pieces I'd like to add more coats to that are finished with BLO. Can I use tung over BLO? Thank you.
    Yes you should be able to use Tung oil over BLO, If you use the Polymerized pure Tung oil you can put one coat every day, as it polymerizes much faster than pure Tung oil, that is if temperatures are warm and humidity not too high, have fun.
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    Thanks Leo. I thought I posted a responce to your post earlier, but must have gotten distracted before I hit the reply button.