Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gizmo has Arrived

Gizmo has Arrived

Just got a big box in the mail today. Gizmo is here! I pondered long and hard on this decision and it`s finally here. I looked at several hollowing systems and in the end I believe this one is one of the finest in Quality and construction. Can`t wait until tomorrow to cut into my first hollow form (non-freehand). Ouch. I asked a couple of folks here and others as well before making this decision. The rabbit hole gets yet Deeper.

GIZMO 011.jpgGIZMO 015.jpgGIZMO 016.jpg
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

2. Pretty good gloat there Dok......now go have some fun!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks good!! Color me jealous.

Good luck tomorrow Dok. Looks like a quality addition to your arsenal. One other "thing-e" you can add to make your wallet thinner and hollowing a better experience is a light source.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Wasn`t trying to gloat guy`s. Just happy to finally get a quality hollowing system that won`t wrench my arm and shoulder. And I can continue my steep learning curve. I hope.

Dok : I took a deep hollowing class at JC Campbell Folkschool a few years ago, and the instructor had a Gizmo setup like you just got. It was much sturdier than the Elbo systems we used to learn on, so I think you've made a great choice. Good luck, and be safe.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I've drooled over those at several symposiums. I do not do enough hollowing to justify the price, but they are without a doubt finely engineered tools. Enjoy!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Wasn`t trying to gloat guy`s. Just happy to finally get a quality hollowing system that won`t wrench my arm and shoulder. And I can continue my steep learning curve. I hope.
    There are two perfectly acceptable gloats here on SMC, Dok.......tool gloats and wood gloats! They are part of what makes SMC fun!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Which system did you get? I have been shopping and reading about them and I don't reconized this one. Looks good though. Congratulations. I look forward to hearing how it preforms. Good luck to you.

GIZMO 001.jpgGIZMO 003.jpgGIZMO 010.jpgWade the tool is the Jt turning tools Gizmo. here is a link: http://www.jtturningtools.com/gizmo

Well so far color me Impressed. I partially roughed out a piece of figured walnut and roughed and hollowed out a piece of nice maple in about three hours total so far. I have a little more work on the Maple vase, and a Lot more on the walnut. I wanted to see how it performed on different woods with two different tools. Wow if I had known one of these made hollowing So much easier than by hand, I would have stepped up much sooner! It`s smooth as glass to use and once you get it set up it comes on and off quickly and easily. So now the rabbit hole gets even deeper as I see several new Larger hollowing tools in my near future. More tools I`m sure as I get more time with it over the long weekend. I started both of the hollowing holes with a 1" forstner bit. Then put in my Harrison simple shear cutting tool and went to work.WOW.

, told you!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

It looks go on your G0766.

WOW! Just Wow! After just my first two days with this I am truly amazed at how Easily this makes turning hollow forms. Man I can see my back log of a ton of mesquite, acacia,olive and pear dwindling Fast. In only 4 /12 yrs of turning or Trying to turn, other than my new lathe and a couple of near perfect bowls I can truly say this is The most enjoyable experience I have had! Yes Scott you were correct. I see lots of new deeper reach and longer hollowing tools in my near future. I feel like Alice as I have fallen Deep into the rabbit hole and there is No return. After a month or so with this I will write a complete review of this product, if thats Ok?

Congratulations, Dok.

What bar are you using? Is this the transformer hollowing tool with the adjustable tip?

Thanks
    Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

No Brian I didn`t buy the transformer as I thought it was a little too large for the type and style of openings I want to do. So far I have used my Harrison swan neck carbide and my Crown revolution tools. I like them both. However I need a couple of deeper and with more bend in the end tools as well as a nice scraper that`s got a much deeper bend. The walnut piece I posted is now hollowed out as far as I can go with what I have on hand.