Thread: "Recovered Ruins XXX"

"Recovered Ruins XXX"

Another of a series of piece I have done over the years. All from Cherry Burls. This was a very large rotten burl. The finished turning is 9 inches tall and 16 inches across at the widest. It is not a thin as I would like as the bottom had rot and a hole. I was not sure if the tenon would hold on. Then I had to jamb chuck and turn the tenon off. Never so glad to get a piece off the lathe Had I broke the wings it was a bad shaped bowl

C and C Welcome
    Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, i dont know how you kept that together let alone sanded it. Beautiful!

Nice looking piece. I do expect the "pucker factor" was pretty high at the end, and then a lot of hand sanding. The flying wings really set it off. Job well done. Vacuum chucks and most of the other special chucks are over-rated and useless for something like that.

Wow---hang up your gouge--you will never surpass that in a lifetime of exploded burls.

Absolutely gorgeous!
    and congratulations on keeping it together.

You are my hero. It takes a lot of experience to recognize the potential that you achieved and a lot of guts to try it.

Ron, Which side of that burl became the bottom? I'm guessing the side closest to the lathe but am probably wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frank View Post
    Ron, Which side of that burl became the bottom? I'm guessing the side closest to the lathe but am probably wrong.
    The bottom of the bowl was the what is on the top of the burl on the cab. It had the most hard wood. Laying on the cab the side that is down had the hole most of the way through it. I knew that had to be my opening. I did not think it ran as deep as it did. Almost to the tenon

Don this is what it looked like going on the lathe. The quill of the tailstock is 4 inches and I needed all I had to get to firm wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amazing piece! That took a lot of extremely careful and delicate turning and sanding. I can`t even imagine the time and patience it took to keep it in one piece. Excellent work Ron!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Very nice I like the shape and especially how you have flared out the top. It really draws your attention to the negative space on the sides. Keep up the GREAT work and thanks for sharing.

I am just fascinated with this bowl. How did you possibly keep it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    I am just fascinated with this bowl. How did you possibly keep it together.
    With every tool introduction in the hollowing process it was done with concentration

Ron