Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharp chisels!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Super Glue was developed for wounds during the Vietnam War.
    No, it was not, unless you're referring to Dien Bien Phu (and I doubt very much that the French used it there either, see below).

It was discovered in the 40s and set aside as not useful, but then came to market as a general-purpose adhesive in the 50s (Eastman 910). The wound closure variants are chemically different and came later.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-29-2016 at 2:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The wound closure variants are chemically different and came later.
    I don't know about chemically different but just about every Marine I know (that bothered to carry any first aid 'paraphernalia' at all) carried some "Crazy Glue". ;-)

Coover said the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposal cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battle field. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...nds-in-vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Coover said the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposal cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battle field. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...nds-in-vietnam
    Yes, absolutely true: Cyanoacrylate sprays were *eventually* adapted to that purpose. I've said so 3 times in already in this thread.

Tom however said that "Super Glue was developed for wounds during the Vietnam War". That statement was false on two grounds:

1. CA resins (a.k.a. "super glue") were developed in the 40s and 50s, long before the Second Indochina War (the one we 'mericans narcissistically call "the Vietnam War").

2. CA resins were developed for general-purpose use as Eastman 910. Their modification and use for wound treatment came much later.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-29-2016 at 11:36 PM.

After a fellow stormed into my CP one night, and a punch broke a few of his teeth ( he had this sharp.pointy thing he was trying to stick me with) I used some Krazy Glue to close up the busted knuckle. And the cut from that .45 slide coming back across my hand....was in a bit of a hurry, was hard to get a good grip on it...

later, just let the patches wear away. ( FEB 1972, Guess where...)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    After a fellow stormed into my CP one night, and a punch broke a few of his teeth ( he had this sharp.pointy thing he was trying to stick me with) I used some Krazy Glue to close up the busted knuckle. And the cut from that .45 slide coming back across my hand....was in a bit of a hurry, was hard to get a good grip on it...

later, just let the patches wear away. ( FEB 1972, Guess where...)
    Ugh, just before some really nasty stuff (Easter). Sorry about being such a stickler for details - seems rather insignificant...

Slightly off topic; the following shows my recently purchased 6 inch cnc grinding wheels (80 and 180 grit), with the Woodcut Tru Grind sliding track tool rests. The old heavy duty grinder runs at 2700 rpm. I will need to relocate those slide tracks to obtain a higher approach against the grit face of the cbn wheels. No instructions were supplied so it was all guess work setting these things up. There is plenty of existing clearance between the top of the slides and the bottom line of the cbn wheels; so most likely I resolve this issue by fitting a 1 3/4 inch packer under both slide bases. All good; easy fix.

A big thanks to Derek C. for recommending these cbn wheels.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-30-2016 at 7:16 AM.

I was able to increase the height of the tool rest by moving the slide track bases 2 inches further back. With the vertical adjustment arms set at 70* and the tool rest adjusted to 32* , the hollow grinding bevel equates to 25*. ( + 7 * bias with the tool rest setting) The following photo's illustrate the before and after height difference gained with the tool rest. Job done.

Stewie;

An additional comment; the rubber cleaning sticks used for sanding discs do an excellent job on the grit surface of cbn wheels.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-31-2016 at 12:31 AM.

That looks like a very good toolrest!

The chisel shown within the bottom photo received a full 25* hollow ground on the 180 grit cbn wheel (formed a light burr to the front edge) with no obvious signs of residual heat being generated. Quite astonishing considering its a 6 inch grinder running at 2700rpm.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-31-2016 at 6:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    The chisel shown within the bottom photo received a full 25* hollow ground on the 180 grit cbn wheel (formed a light burr to the front edge) with no obvious signs of residual heat being generated. Quite astonishing considering its a 6 inch grinder running at 2700rpm.

Stewie;
    I saw a paper a while back that claimed a >4X difference in heat dissipation per unit volume material removed compared to freshly dressed Al-Oxide wheels. Based on my own experience I think that's about right.

6" at 2700 rpm is ~70 feet/sec, which is a pretty good clip, about the same as an 8" grinder at ~2000 rpm.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-31-2016 at 8:50 PM.

Excellent feedback Patrick; the 4x differential in heat distribution between the cbn and the Al-Oxide wheels is very interesting. The 80 and 180 grit combination cbn wheels recommended by Derek C. is an excellent pairing for grinding work. The Woodcut Tru slide tracks are also an excellent design; I use a Wixey digital angle gauge http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/ (calibrated to zero from the top surface of the work bench) to lock in the desired angles on both vertical arms and tool rests; then slide the upright assemblies towards the grit face of the cbn wheels; lock them in position; and commence grinding to a dedicated hollow bevel (bevel angle + 7* bias). My previous grinding set up was reliant on AL-Oxide grinding wheels, with limited adjustment capabilities on the tool rests, very similar in design to the following; http://www.grizzly.com/products/Opti...campaign=zPage

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-31-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Can anyone identify the combination honing stone (shown closest to the camera); the bottom half is a medium hardness silicon carbide, the top half ??? possibly AL- Oxide. Also; is the Norton Abrasive-Queer Creek silicon carbide honing stone (medium hardness); generally regarded as a good quality honing stone. ??

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-31-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Know nothing about the one in front. Norton silicon carbide stones are considered good. And the queer creek side is a natural fine sandstone that was usually rated as "second line" stone.