Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions needed regarding "baking" wood

opinions needed regarding "baking" wood

I have a customer requesting wooded beer steins. his previous supplier no longer makes them.
    they will be octagon shaped. will be using black "plasite"(food safe) for the interior of the steins to make them watertight, and usable for hot and cold drinks. Plasite needs to be force cured at 225 degrees for 4 hours. I planned on using titebond 2 wood glue. each stein will be made with multiple types of hardwood.
    Question: Is titebond 2 the glue to use? will i have an issue with the glue or wood at that temp.? After baking, how long should i wait to apply the outside finish?(not real sure on what finish i will use on the outside, either my normal cat conversion varnish or??.)
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chad
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Custom Woodworking/Laser Engraving
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area
    with 3 1/4 PC Router, 10" Z

Chad

As a professional, you may know more than I do about this. But I do know that PVA adhesives are thermoplastic until they have fully cured. I believe that Titebond III is less thermoplastic than the other PVA formulations and more waterproof. If you support the glue joints during heating the joints should be normally strong after they cool.

Will your customer put these mugs in a dishwasher? I don't know how well Titebond III will stand up to that over many washings. Consider an epoxy.

Interesting question to start the day

Doug

they will be labeled as NO dishwasher or microwave.
    My thought is: glue up the octagon, once set glue on the bottom of the mug, let sit overnight, clean up/sand and apply the plasite to the interior of the mug and bake.
    So by the time it goes into the oven the glue would be set and cured already. which is where my concern is, with the movement of the wood during the baking process, will it want to crack?
    Hmmmm.
    Something else to think about: my customer sells them as guaranteed not to leak: I guess i will have to drink a beer out of each one to make sure, right.... at 100-300 per order, i may need some help.hehehe
    chad
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area

I don't think Titebond or other PVAc glues will stay bonded at those temps. if there's even a little stress on any of the joints. I'd use Plastic Resin Glue or epoxy. Both will easily take 225°F.

After baking, I think you need to wait a day or two prior to finishing so the wood can re-acclimate to the RH.

John

I always thought that eating up a glue joint was a good way to take it apart.
    Dan

Yeah, I think PVA isn't the right stuff. I'd try epoxy instead. And if that softens at that temp, resorcenal. (I visited a wooden-boat yard a couple weeks ago. They are building a wooden boat that is a hundred feet long. The hull planking is three inches thick. It is steam bent to conform to the hull. They scarf shorter planks together to get the required lengths. They scarf with resorcenal, having found that epoxy doesn't survive the steaming process.) Resorcenal is hazardous, so use it with care.

resorcenal?? what is is, curious?

i was afraid of the titebond and that temp.
    Is there an epoxy glue or plastic resin glue that either of you would recommend. I have always used titebond so am unfamiliar with the others. have never needed to bake anything before.
    Thanks
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fitzgerald View Post
    his previous supplier no longer makes them.
    Chad
    Something else to think about: my customer sells them as guaranteed not to leak
    chad
    There might be a good reason that the previous supplier stopped making these. I'd want to know that reason before I spent much time trying to figure out how to make them.

There are lots of hits from a search for "high temperature glue" but I don't have experience with these. There are types of epoxy that will soften on warming, but others that will only cure at quite high temperatures. I think your best bet may be to contact an adhesive vendor and see what they have to say. System Three sells a lot of kinds of epoxy -- one might be appropriate. Masterbond is a company that came up on the high temperature glue search: they have a page listing 7 different high temperature glues.

If you don't mind a black line between wood sections, you might test whether the Plastite you plan to use for the lining will serve as a wood glue.

"Resorcinol" is spelled that way. It should have good water and heat resistance, but would also leave a dark line.

hi:

A quick google on "plastite foodsafe" found a plastite named carboline that sets at room temperature if left long enough - but I think this is probably not what you are planning on using because I don't see any way to spray it evenly on the inside of your steins.

If what you are using (or your customer) permits it, how about making the liner as an insert and just gluing it into place when the stein is just about ready to go out the door? maybe leave a small ridge around the inside of the top, then insert the liner from the bottom right along with the bottom itself. That way the user can't see the liner edge and assembly is easy.

If you don't mind the weight, you can buy fairly thin, dishwasher/microwave proof, polycarbonate tumblers for not much at all and simply build around them.
    Last edited by rudy de haas; 05-26-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Chad,

My point is that PVA takes longer than 24 hours to fully cure i.e. lose its thermoplasticity. I don't know how long that would take. Maybe Franklin tech support could help you with this. (I know that a veneer to substrate glue joint can be softened within 24 hours with a hot iron but eventually the glue will not soften.) That's why I'd suggest a band clamp or such to support the joint while baking if you use Titebond III. If you are worried about wood movement, use KD stock or dry them yourself (pre-bake). Twice baked mugs -- sounds like biscotti. Obviously some experimentation is in order.

Doug

Doug

my customer sells them as guaranteed not to leak: I guess i will have to drink a beer out of each one to make sure, right.... at 100-300 per order, i may need some help.hehehe
    chad
    I will be right over to help. btw: my favorite beer is Newcastle Brown.

Steve

Titebond is a PVAc glue. It will always be thermoplastic, no matter how long it cures. You can often disassemble a Titebond glued joint by heating it and pulling it apart with reversed clamps.

John

resorcenal?? what is is, curious?

i was afraid of the titebond and that temp.
    Is there an epoxy glue or plastic resin glue that either of you would recommend. I have always used titebond so am unfamiliar with the others. have never needed to bake anything before.
    Thanks

Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue is the one I use. http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/w...ic-resin-glue/

I buy it at my local ACE Hardware. It is my preferred glue for veneer work because it cures to a hard, creep resistant bond. It is a urea formaldehyde thermoset resin meaning that, after curing, it will not soften with heat.

John

thanks for all the tips and thoughts.
    everyone is welcome for the testing!!!!!
    last supplier lost his partner and therefore downsizing.
    found systems 3 and will call them as well as check pout the others that are recommended here.
    Again, appreciate all the advice.
    chad
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area