Thread: Not much, but my first try at turning

Not much, but my first try at turning

20160526_145916_resized.jpg

From a 2"x2" to round. I found myself having an easier time with using a skew rather than the roughing gouge. I tried cuts with the parting tool which went pretty well and a beading gouge which was much harder but a couple of decent beads. I then tried to grind the skew and messed it up. I will need to contact D-Way tools and find correct angle. I tried using a Stuart Batty Angle Gauge One but must be doing something wrong. I thought I saw on one of his videos that Dave ground them to 60 degrees, but when I set the platform according to the directions that angle was no where close.

Michael,

Whether using the skew or the roughing gouge, there are two keys for success...1) sharp, sharp, sharp....2) your mantra should ride that bevel!.....Unless you are using a tool as a scraper....but for the most part....ride that bevel!

You have turned what most of us turned for our first turning. Keep it up!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

1st time turner using D-Way and Stuart Batty tools = The Vortex has already claimed the life of an unsuspecting soul! Welcome Michael.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

It does look round. The usual advice is to find a local turning club and find a mentor to help you get started. A little hands on and good habits starting will shorten your learning curve by months or even years, and greatly improve your enjoyment with your lathe. Also help you avoid some purchases that you will find out were not necessary or alternate items that might work better. Welcome to the vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    20160526_145916_resized.jpg

From a 2"x2" to round. I found myself having an easier time with using a skew rather than the roughing gouge. I tried cuts with the parting tool which went pretty well and a beading gouge which was much harder but a couple of decent beads. I then tried to grind the skew and messed it up. I will need to contact D-Way tools and find correct angle. I tried using a Stuart Batty Angle Gauge One but must be doing something wrong. I thought I saw on one of his videos that Dave ground them to 60 degrees, but when I set the platform according to the directions that angle was no where close.
    Looks good. My first turning was a cylinder with some ends on it - I bought a cheap lathe to make a tracing paper dispenser for my son in architecture school.

I think most of my skews are ground between 25 and 40 degrees, measured from bevel to bevel. The sharper the angle (smaller) the better it cuts but the wider angle is more controllable.

Congratulations on starting with the skew - so many turners are afraid of the skew and use it only for scraping and joke about it being good for opening paint cans. The skew is probably my favorite tool. When I teach beginners I always start with the skew, then go to the roughing gouge. I think the skew is the best tool for really understanding how the bevel and edge work together to cut the wood.

Where do you live? I'm sure a turner near you would gladly spend some time showing sharpening and things.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Looks good. My first turning was a cylinder with some ends on it - I bought a cheap lathe to make a tracing paper dispenser for my son in architecture school.

I think most of my skews are ground between 25 and 40 degrees, measured from bevel to bevel. The sharper the angle (smaller) the better it cuts but the wider angle is more controllable.

Congratulations on starting with the skew - so many turners are afraid of the skew and use it only for scraping and joke about it being good for opening paint cans. The skew is probably my favorite tool. When I teach beginners I always start with the skew, then go to the roughing gouge. I think the skew is the best tool for really understanding how the bevel and edge work together to cut the wood.

Where do you live? I'm sure a turner near you would gladly spend some time showing sharpening and things.

JKJ
    I live in Montana between Kaiispell and Missoula. It would be nice to find someone that knows what they are doing and could share. For a few days I will just be trying to use the tools, not make anything. I want to get used to them and how to use them. It will be nice to be able to make something, though.

Blog Entries
    Looks better than my first piece.
    With my first I just sorta let the gouges determine the finished product.....and I'm not referring to a tool.

when I first started turning I started with pens and wanted to do more,,bowls and goblets,,and fter coming close to throwing in the towel I went to my local woodturning club and got the advice of what I was doing wrong,,,even had a mentor come to my home and show me what I was doing wrong,,it changed my outlook on woodturning completely,,,so I would advise anyone to join a club,,,don't know if anyone has ever heard of doc green,,but he is a member of our club and truly one of the best,,he is a finished pro,,

if memory serves Odie lives up that way

I used to live in Belgrade many long years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    I live in Montana between Kaiispell and Missoula. It would be nice to find someone that knows what they are doing and could share. For a few days I will just be trying to use the tools, not make anything. I want to get used to them and how to use them. It will be nice to be able to make something, though.