Thread: Must be a heck of a bowl gouge

Must be a heck of a bowl gouge

I work with a guy who is just getting into turning. He bought a HF lathe, and one of the HF gouge sets. He asked a couple of days ago what a bowl gouge looked like, because he was failing miserably turning the inside of a bowl with anything than came with his kit. I brought him in one of my Hurricane bowl gouges to try, and he loved it (I only been turning for 18 months, and found Hurricane a great brand to learn to turn/sharpen with). He said he wasn't able to find them online, even from Hurricane's website. I looked on Amazon tonite (where I bought mine), and found the 3/8" gouge for $25 or so, but not available until November! I also found a 1/4" one for $737! Sorry for the rambling story, but I thought the entire thing rather odd.

http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Turn...ane+bowl+gouge

You have to pay close attention to the small store fronts that use Amazon.
    I was looking for a mixed nut gift I could send to a friend and ran across this the other day: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
    Shipping not included.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I love the part that says $7.49 shipping! Shouldn't cost that much to ship 1/2 pound of nuts! As for the gouge - at that price I would expect the tool manufacturer comes to the house and gives you a year of one-on-one instruction! Pricey a bit?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sometimes you pay for what you get..... At that price, I would also expect FREE SHIPPING...... I'd refuse to pay for shipping.

I've noticed that on Amazon, especially on things that are low stock or out of stock. Some sellers will jack the price up by hundreds of dollars. I don't know if it is intended to defraud folks that aren't paying attention or if it for those rare folks who just HAVE to have that item right then and there when they can't get it anywhere else. Probably a little of both.

Blog Entries
    When prices skyrocket, that's how you know it's on an automated system. The bots are set up to watch similar items, and if one price increases, so does the other. The problem comes in when the bot eyes are looking in a circle... item 'A' goes up because 'B' did, then 'B' goes up because 'A' did. Turn the crank. Out of print books are notorious for this issue on Amazon.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I bought a 3-piece set of bowl gouges from Hurricane on either Amazon or eBay. I recall that I paid around $70 for the 3-piece set. Now I see that the 3 piece set is around $150. Wow! What a change. I think that the 3 piece spindle gouge is still reasonable.

I have also purchased their 3-piece round-nosed scraper. I am satisfied with all of them. The 1/4 inch bowl gouge doesn't get a lot of use. The long shaft seems a little out of place though.

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your post about the crazy price listed on Amazon by the seller "Or Exmit". As the manufacturer of Hurricane Tools, I have no idea who they are, and most likely, they don't even have a tool available. We are out of stock of several bowl gouges right now, we will have them back in stock in about 10 days, not November. But with regard to "Or Exmit" they must use some sort of pricing software which clearly calculated an incorrect price. I apologize for the confusion. This can happen sometimes with pricing software as seen also with the bags of nuts example. While it is great that you brought it to the attention of the forum users, it is unfortunate that one of the moderator's comments mentions the manufacturer should come to the customer's house and give a year of lessons. That is implying that we have something to do with outrageous price and that we are doing it intentionally. The moderator should know better because posts like this stick around for years. I am a fellow woodturner, AAW Chapter President, and business owner who is known to be very reputable. A moderator should never post a derogatory comment like that.

Steve Fulgoni
    Last edited by Steve Fulgoni; 05-28-2016 at 1:31 PM.

Another reason to buy direct from the maker and not through middle men....

Steve, see you in Atlanta?!

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fulgoni View Post
    Hello Tom,

As the manufacturer of Hurricane Tools,

Steve Fulgoni
    As I have seen some complaints in reviews of your gouges, can you comment on your heat treating? Is the whole tool heat treated, or just the tip? Will they all at least pass the file test all the way to the back of the flute?

Hi Robo Hippy,

Not this year, I was scheduled to help in the Robust booth, but I will be at a College function for my son. I do remember seeing you in Pittsburgh!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fulgoni View Post
    Hello Tom,

Thank you for your post about the crazy price listed on Amazon by the seller "Or Exmit". As the manufacturer of Hurricane Tools, I have no idea who they are, and most likely, they don't even have a tool available. We are out of stock of several bowl gouges right now, we will have them back in stock in about 10 days, not November. But with regard to "Or Exmit" they must use some sort of pricing software which clearly calculated an incorrect price. I apologize for the confusion. This can happen sometimes with pricing software as seen also with the bags of nuts example. While it is great that you brought it to the attention of the forum users, it is unfortunate that one of the moderator's comments mentions the manufacturer should come to the customer's house and give a year of lessons. That is implying that we have something to do with outrageous price and that we are doing it intentionally. The moderator should know better because posts like this stick around for years. I am a fellow woodturner, AAW Chapter President, and business owner who is known to be very reputable. A moderator should never post a derogatory comment like that.

Steve Fulgoni
    Steve, I appreciate the response. I've been happy with your stuff, especially for the price. As my rambling tale stated, the other newbie LOVED it.