Thread: bandsaw advice

bandsaw advice

can anyone tell me what is the best bandsaw and the easiest to set up,,,actually im looking for a tabletop,,but I would like to have a good one reguardless,,thank you

Asking for "the best" without much background information is tough. Budget? Size (10"?)? New/used?

Like Jeff said, "best" depends on your perspective and intended use. Best may mean value, too. Ease of setup may depend on your experience and willingness to tinker. It may also depend on the individual machine you get - I've read different reports on the identical bandsaw where one person just plugged it in and it was perfect while another had to make a lot of adjustment.

I personally have no experience with benchtop saws except for one small 3-wheel saw I set up for a friend. Based on that, I would be cautious of small, 3-wheel bandsaws.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Asking for "the best" without much background information is tough. Budget? Size (10"?)? New/used?
    This ^^^...

My advice is to answer these three questions to yourself:

1.) How much am I willing to spend?

2.) What do I plan to use it for?

3.) How long do I want to own it?

Based on what I have seen over my years of selling bandsaws, if a person cannot answer those questions for themself, then the odds of making a single purchase they will be happy with are not high. I need a new suit and a friend is in the men's clothing business. My plan was to go to some "suit store" and just buy something. I really never wear a suit and wouldn't even know where to start, so talked to my friend for a bit, gave him that info. Based on his advice, I will probably end up spending more than I planned but will be happier in the long run but the point being, I am making a more educated decision now. Hope that all makes sense and best of luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Good advice already on defining your needs. That said, a couple of additional points to consider.

If you're definite about a bench top saw, I'd definitely avoid three wheel designs- stick with two wheels. I'd look for one made by a manufacturer that also makes larger saws- it ought to be better quality. So, I'd steer clear of brands like Skil and Ryobi (not to pick on them- I have a lot of Ryobi hand held tools, but I don't think that bench tools are their forte).

One that comes to mind is the Rikon 10-305 (10"), or the Craftsman 21400. The Rikon does come with a stand, but the C'man appears to be a rebadged Rikon. Disclaimer: I have never owned or used a bench top bandsaw, and I've only had a cursory look at a C'man on display; I've seen the Ryobi- not impressed.

actually I was looking at the 14 in grizzly,,im like others,,i really feel like you are getting a better saw going with the 14 inch vs the table top,,but I was wanting to know if anyone knew of the best or easiest to set up or change over the blades

Tannewitz, but I don't think that they make tabletop models.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tannewitz, but I don't think that they make tabletop models.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    actually I was looking at the 14 in grizzly,,im like others,,i really feel like you are getting a better saw going with the 14 inch vs the table top,,but I was wanting to know if anyone knew of the best or easiest to set up or change over the blades
    Bigger is always better

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

It's tough to give you advice when you're being vague/unclear. We generally consider tabletop to mean benchtop. Is that what you want? 14" saws are floor standing saws, and grizzly has made a lot of variants of the 14" saw over the years. Are you talking new? Do you have a model number for the Griz? How about your budget?

Again, we can't help you if you don't help us by being clear.

The Grizz 0555LX is a BIG bargain. Check out the specs. The cast iron wheels are a super plus in my shop.
    Just my thoughts.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.