Thread: Antique Wood Planes

Antique Wood Planes

I have some antique wood planes that belonged to my father-in-law or perhaps his father. I have no interest in keeping them but no idea of what they may be worth or what accessories may belong to each of the planes.

How can I determine the value of them and also sell them?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

When I sold mine I went to the auction site to see what others were going for & condition....

You can try to watch some on ebay. I do that a lot when I want to sell something. Then I'll list it a little less on CL and usually it moves after a bit. Really though, you could probably post them here for sale and sell them pretty fairly once you figure a price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have some antique wood planes that belonged to my father-in-law or perhaps his father. I have no interest in keeping them but no idea of what they may be worth or what accessories may belong to each of the planes.

How can I determine the value of them and also sell them?

Thanks
    The terms of service do not allow you to post them in this conference to sell. I think it would allow you to post pictures of them here for others to help you learn about what you have.

Once you know what they are it is easy to determine what others have fetched with ebay completed listings, available with an 'advanced' search on ebay.

Then you could list them here in the SMC Classifieds, sell them on Craig's List or ebay.

I have been on a sort of old wooden molding plane binge of late myself.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    They are not only worthless, but they are also known to be the cause of many terminal illnesses and psychological disorders. Box them up and send them to me and I will ensure they are properly disposed of.

But seriously- You can use eBay as a good judge, but you need to watch the items until the end and see what they actually went for and not what the current bid or "buy it now" price is. That could be time consuming. You could post pics here and I am sure people could at least tell you what is valuable and what is not- at least in general. You can also go to various online sellers and see what the TOP DOLLAR is, because typically they advertise for way more than what most would pay, and I suspect they leave themselves some wiggle room on the prices.

Post some pics. I'd like to see them.

I think I might fight you for them planes Malcolm .
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Thanks for the reply's. I will get some pics as soon as I can
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm just curious - why do you have no interest in keeping them?

Do you have good planes of your own, or are you just not into hand tools?

Any woodworker, even the most die-hard power tool user, would benefit from owning a few good planes and knowing how to use and maintain them. I pity anyone who relies on an orbital sander... A well tuned plane will do a better job in less time, with less hassle, noise, and dust. And, to top it all off, they're quite enjoyable to use! Something about creating whispery paper shavings oddly fun/addictive

But, I digress! To address your original question, it quite depends on the make of the planes, the condition they're in, etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do some research. But, as others have said, ebay is a good starting point, if you really must part with such wonderful tools that will make your life easier and bring you much joy, if you were even the slightest bit inclined to give them a thorough try!

Edit: Wait! Maybe I should have adopted Malcolm's strategy!

Ahem! I meant to say, they're terrible, worthless, antiquated tools, and all that rust makes them useless! I'm sure it would be tough for my fellow Neanderthal to dispose of them all by himself, so I reluctantly offer my assistance as well!
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 05-28-2016 at 2:53 AM.

eBay price research tip: once you understand what you have and can get a nice list of search results, there's a checkbox on the left side of the screen that lets you narrow the search to just items that actually sold or to all concluded listings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenore Epstein View Post
    eBay price research tip: once you understand what you have and can get a nice list of search results, there's a checkbox on the left side of the screen that lets you narrow the search to just items that actually sold or to all concluded listings.
    I like to look at the 'completed' listings. It shows what sold and what didn't. Sometimes you will see something that was listed at a high buy it now price that later sold at a lower price.

The listings only go back 30 days iirc. It is limited, but it gives a good idea if you find some matching items.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)