Thread: Maximum Chiller Temp Before Ill Effects?

Maximum Chiller Temp Before Ill Effects?

What's the maximum chiller temp you can go before you start seeing ill effects like decreased power and shortened tube life?

We like to run the chiller at 19 degrees Celsius, the tube seems to like that. However our relative temperature Dew Point has gotten up to 22.5 with the heat and humidity so we had to turn it up to 23 degrees Celsius. I thought I read 25 degrees was when bad stuff starts to happen but what do you guys think is the ideal range + limit? Alternatively can the chiller be a few degrees below the relative humidity without condensation or does the condensation start immediately?
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 05-27-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Widebody tubes like 10,000 hr EFR's / RECI's start to degrade and lose overall life at 23 degrees C Keith, narrow body tubes are usually good to 26 degrees or so before ill effects start to take place. If you want to max out power, speed and life keep the temp of a fatboy to 17-18 degrees...cool is good, cool and stable is better
    You did what !

Thanks Dave that's really what I was looking for!

Have you found any tolerance between the Dew Point and the chiller temp? Can the chiller be at say 21 for a few hours while the relative humidity is 23 or will condensation form fairly quickly?
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 05-27-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Sorry brother, can't really comment as I haven't had any experience of that. Mine are all installed in aircon unit so don't have any data to offer
    You did what !

No worries thank you Dave, have a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Thanks Dave that's really what I was looking for!

Have you found any tolerance between the Dew Point and the chiller temp? Can the chiller be at say 21 for a few hours while the relative humidity is 23 or will condensation form fairly quickly?
    Keith - FWIW - I regularly run a 5200 chiller on my 100 watt machine set to maintain 18-20 C. - It's in a non air-conditioned room and the ambient temperature is usually 25-30 C often with a high relative humidity. The only condensation I have had is a small amount on the hose from the chiller to the machine when very warm conditions 28+ prevail. I only run the chiller while actually doing a job as our electricity costs are huge and the chiller draws a fair whack. I have never had any condensation on the tube or elsewhere in the machine- (that I have seen anyway). I can also confirm that 26C seems to be the the temperature at which things start to deteriorate on a 60W tube - power declines and life shortens dramatically (don't ask how I know).
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!