Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About a year ago . . .

I think most of the mags rehash way too much and don't offer much else I want. Sorry to see Shopnotes go, the idea of helping guys make their own tools is great and I'm glad Woodsmith does this. There are some good articles but they seem few and far between. FWW seems to be resting on its laurels far too much. Am I mistaken or does Becksvort (excuse the spelling) do the same three or four Shaker pieces?

Since I don't have the skill set for Fine Woodworking magazine, I've been trying to find where to purchase Fair Woodworking magazine.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

There is a bottleneck in advanced content about woodworking beyond which things get very specialized, requiring separate magazines. Beginning content however will always have a steady audience of newcomers. Once the advanced general woodworking content has been covered the editorial choices seem to be: do lots of reruns, specialize, pivot to beginners or just fill issues with tool reviews and ads, which inevitably become indistinguishable from one another.

I doubt that a woodworking magazine can stay relevant for more than a decade or so.

Blog Entries
    All who know what the maynard method pertains to, speak up and tell where you learned about it.

Blog Entries
    As to the original scope of this thread, recently there was a FWW (I believe) that had a promise on the cover of 'Flawless Dovetails.' At home the article was a disappointment. Not only was there nothing in the article new to me, a few of the finer points in the process were totally missing.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    All who know what the maynard method pertains to, speak up and tell where you learned about it.
    I think MOST people understand parts of the concept but do not know there is a name for the efficiencies.

When I was working for a living I tried different ways of systemizing my work for my own ease and as a challenge to beat the boredom. A lot of my co-workers expressed their dislike of my behavior. Often the complaint was "they will expect everyone to do that."

One of the best work efficiencies is the elimination of rework.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-02-2016 at 8:59 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I started this string because the various magazines are becoming stale. Some even suggested that the magazines had covered everything and maybe they have.

I wanted to demonstrate that it doesn't have to be that way. At this point, I'n not sure if it appeared in Woodworking or Popular Woodworking. It is a method for chopping mortises where a hole is drilled about 2/3 the length of the mortise and then the chips from chopping go into the hole that was drilled. It makes the effort go faster with dependable results.

The article can be downloaded if anyone wants to see it. It is at http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp...SE_BY_HAND.pdf.

I think that kind of subject matter is missing from today's publications.

Blog Entries
    I have submitted an item or two. One was published the other was on technique on Stanley #45 use. The editor didn't think it was of a wide enough interest. My thought is if a few enthusiast saw the article they might buy the rest of the magazine. Besides, it is a plane very common in most areas. It can be a bit more expensive than a regular bench plane, but it can do a lot more.

Heck, mine has been used to fancy up a couple of projects in the last week.

I have been thinking about shooting boards and how often mine are used to do something besides just hitting the perfectly squared end on a piece of wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

it's not that they have covered everything. far, far from it. it's that they have covered everything that their readership will bother to read.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I started this string because the various magazines are becoming stale. Some even suggested that the magazines had covered everything and maybe they have.