Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About a year ago . . .

Blog Entries

About a year ago . . .

I declined to renew a wood working magazine because their subject matter was pretty much balderdash.

Recently, I missed getting the magazine and ordered a new subscription. Well, I received the first issue of the new subscription, and I threw it in the trash.

Their subject matter is still balderdash.

Sigh. . . . . . . . .

Blog Entries
    I only buy Fine Woodworking, and I do not subscribe- I buy it at the Miami Airport when I travel. Typically I'm through there two or three times a month, and it's kind of my little ray of sunshine in the doom and gloom of the MIA Airport to find that the new FWW is out. I actually know the three stores in the whole airport that stock it. It is the only magazine, since the demise of "Shop Notes" (sigh) that has material that interests me. Many of the other magazines carry stories more for the basic weekend hobbyist, and focus on screw and glue type of builds. I prefer to read about different joinery techniques, see what artisans are doing with their work, and read reviews of tools. FWW seems to have a very good coverage of stuff that suits the amateur and professional alike.

Blog Entries
    I receive and enjoy Fine Woodworking, though sometimes their subject matter is weak.

I've been a FWW subscriber since around 1990, and finally let it run out a few months ago. For the last year or two, I found that I'd spend about 5 minutes thumbing through them when they'd arrive, then right to the bookshelf, never to be read again.

While it's incredibly expensive, I might subscribe to Furniture and Cabinetmaking. I had a subscription several years ago, and found that it had more high end projects that I like to see.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with Furniture and Cabinet Making, I will check it out.

Forget it, I would have to subscribe to it to determine subject matter.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-27-2016 at 11:48 AM.

I like the Furniture and Cabinetmaking offering, although it is hard to find. In the Eastern NC area, the Barnes and Noble in Raleigh on Capital Blvd. is the only one that carries it. Fine Woodworking has been my consistent favorite, even keeping my subscription during a period of unemployment. I do miss the ShopNotes mag, especially for the jigs and fixtures articles it offered.

Blog Entries
    I may renew my Shop Notes and Woodsmith, their articles interest me more than the slick back magazines at this time.

Also, maybe the slick magazines will follow this string and do something about their content. I don't recall ever seeing a magazine ask for guidance from the subscribers on content matter.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-27-2016 at 4:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a magazine ask for guidance from the subscribers on content matter.
    The old Woodwork magazine did, especially in the early years. They're the only ones that I can recall though.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I enjoy the testing of steel in chisels articles that they have done 2 of,several months apart. HOWEVER,the 2 series of tests had VERY different results!! I liked the 2nd one best,because it made my Pfiel wood chisel set look better! In both articles,the Japanese chisels did do best,at least.

WHY these 2 tests came out different,I don't know. And,I can't recall HOW the tests were conducted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I may renew my Shop Notes and Woodsmith, their articles interest me more than the slick back magazines at this time.

Also, maybe the slick magazines will follow this string and do something about their content. I don't recall ever seeing a magazine ask for guidance from the subscribers on content matter.
    Shop Notes has gone to the great printing press in the sky. I believe Woodsmith still exists.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Shop Notes has gone to the great printing press in the sky. I believe Woodsmith still exists.
    Your correct, I renewed Woodsmith though.

I've subscribed to Popular Woodworking and to Fine Woodworking. I let them both lapse. Too much rehashing and too many tool shootouts. I just take a peek at the newsstand now and pick up a copy if I find the features interesting.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I allowed my subscription to FWW lapse about 10 years ago, and I'm certain I haven't missed a thing. They should change the name of the rag to "Very Ordinary Woodworking", and it would be more accurate. They dumbed down their marketing approach and cater to a completely different audience than they used to.
    Jeff

They post some pretty atrocious looking projects in their "Reader's Gallery" section. I wonder if the person who selects the projects has any taste at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    They post some pretty atrocious looking projects in their "Reader's Gallery" section. I wonder if the person who selects the projects has any taste at all!!
    Imo, the Reader's projects have been the best part of the magazine for the last 10 years. I think most are excellent, in both design and execution. There are some exceptions, of course, but I like the vast majority of them.
    Gerry

JointCAM