Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pulling the plug on a table saw

pulling the plug on a table saw

well I have been looking at all the table saws out there and im seriously considering biting the bullet and getting the saw stop table saw,,i like the others and especially the grizzly,,which is only a fraction of the cost of the saw stop,,and im sure both will do the same thing and other than the safety feature on the saw stop,,which is a big plus for me,,,both seem compariable,,,I wish that someone else had the same safety feature as the saw stop but I don't know of any,,but I guess its like the old adage,,,you get what you pay for,,and the one I was actually looking at is the professional cabinet saw with the 1.75 motor and the 30 inch rip,,can anyone elorabate on this topic or tell me your feelings about this,,thank you

Oh man here goes another tablesaw thread.Its probably gonna be a great saw for you.Any tablesaw can be a pro saw if you can make money with it right.
    Dont over think it just get it and put your energy toward your projects.

Aj

ok,,lighthearted stuff first,,if you rely on the power cord for a safety feature,,,DO NOT use twist lock plugs

But seriously, what are you going to use the saw for? That's the first question to answer to decide what motor and fence is most appropriate.

If the safety brake is very important, then that answers your question on brand. If you are careful and don't have kids or friends who will be using the saw, then maybe a traditional saw would be fine as long as you learn how to use it safely.
    JR

"I can't imagine you'll get much feedback here," he said. Hopefully? (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Grizzly might make on paper specs look the same as a SawStop, but safety feature aside the fit and finish of a SawStop is worlds above any other competitor IMO.

Regarding which to get, go with the 36" as the better fence it comes with is IMO a required upgrade. The fence that comes with the 30" is pretty well disliked.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

OH

This is going to be an adventure...........

If you have the ability to run 220v, then I'd get the 3hp PCS. It will make cutting thicker stock easier. I functioned perfectly fine on a 1.75hp Jet for a few years, but the 3hp PCS cuts easier for me.

Put the safety feature aside. It's not a topic for debate; some believe it critical, some believe it not worth it. Neither camp will be convinced. Have your own opinion about that value and let's all keep that debate to the archives.

As for the fit and finish of the SawStop, I vouch that it's very good in pretty much all respects from accuracy to power and ease of using features like the riving knife. Know that if you like to use dados on the table saw, you will require a separate brake cartridge for that. This was enough of a turn off for me (not the cost, but the effort) that I don't dado on the saw any more.

People rave about SS's dust collection. I think it's mediocre, but that's because my dust collector is probably underpowered. I cannot say it's any worse than any other tool I have. Just don't compare it to a tablesaw with Sharkguard.

My two cents is it would either be the SawStop or a slider if I wanted to buy new. The safety feature of the SS and the inherent safety of a slider would sway me to one of the two. If I were going to rely only on my training and common sense, as I currently do, I would buy a used saw. Way more bang for your $'s. And with luck, you could still have a SawStop or slider!

John

The fit and finish on the SS will be much, much better than the comparable grizzly.

The resale value of the SS will be much, much higher, should you ever decide to upgrade or liquidate.

I wish everyone here could go to an industry show like AWFS in Vegas or IWF in Atlanta, because you could see every machine you could ever imagine, side by side. No glossy catalogs, no marketing hype. You can actually touch them all. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Back to the OP's question, the SS has the nicest fit and finish of any of the cabinmet-type saws out there. Whether it's right for you is not for me to say but it's definitely the most polished and professional looking cabinet saw out there. Just my 2-cents.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Good advice all around. If you are sold on the brand go for it, you won't regret it.
    My only comment is, try to step up to the 3HP, you won't regret that either (but you're likely to regret of not going).
    Get the T-glide fence, I think it is standard with the PCS model.

If the safety feature will make you a more confident woodworker, then you will enjoy it more and it is worth the extra cost. I had 30+ years to become confident in using table saws before Sawstop was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If the safety feature will make you a more confident woodworker, then you will it more and it is worth the extra cost. I had 30+ years to become confident in using table saws before Sawstop was invented.
    Art nailed it, my thoughts put succinctly.

+2 on what Art said. No need to bring out the club and bash Grizzly. Whichever one Jeff decides on will do well for him.

I guess if the safety aspect is worth $2000 dollars to you then you should buy the SS. Or choose a safer hobby. Otherwise Grizzly makes a fine tablesaw.