Thread: Southern California sources for 8/4 Curly Maple?

Southern California sources for 8/4 Curly Maple?

Last year I bought a beautiful piece of 8/4 curly maple. I did not know this was such a rare opportunity.

I would like to make 11 chalices to go with the 11 plates that are already finished. I know I can get 4/4 and laminate it 4 or 5 thick, but would prefer a couple of thicknesses of 8/4. Do you know of any sources in Southern California or mail order for $10/bf or less? I will need 20 bf.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

You might try Woodcraft. I am no where near California, but perhaps they have nationwide stocking policies. Two weeks ago I got several beautiful figured slabs from the Minneapolis Woodcraft. They were a full 2 and a full 2 1/2 inches thick and 6 to 12 inches wide. A quick calculation in my head says I paid just under $10 per board foot.

You might want to contact Eisenbrand Hardwoods in Torrance, CA. 310-542-3576.

Austin hardwoods in Santa Ana 714 953 4000 would be my first choice. A few months ago they had a pallet load of highly figured 8/4 maple, "once in a lifetime buy" but it was $25 /BF They always have 4/4 Curly Maple. Last month I paid $5.62 BF for 4/4 CM. (contractor price)

Brian,

Have you called Frost Hardwood, San Diego? They are on Miramar Road, 5 miles west of I-15. They have figured 1/4 sawn maple in stock for $4.18 a BF. I am not associated with them, I just like to go there once in a while and pick up some specialty wood. If you are just looking for small quantities and don't see it in their cut-off bin, but see it in the big planks, they'll cut the plank for free.

Brian, I have worked with curly maple a lot - both in rifles, flat work and turnings. I love it, but personally, I would find it very distracting in a glued up turning. You would not be able to get the curl matched and it normally is prominent only on two opposing sides. Just my thoughts.

i would consider alternate laminations with walnut. They go together great.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-28-2016 at 2:40 PM.

I totally agree with John Keeton

Brian,

Here's another approach for a glue-up for a goblet/chalice . The bottom is Sipo Mahogany which was glued up of 4 layers of 3/4 inch Sipo. I oriented the layers so that the grain was all parallel to one another. That minimized the difference in chatoyance when it is moved. The top is figured Jacaranda (a local wood) that is fun to turn. (BTW, I got the Sipo M. at Frost Hardwood in San Diego).

IMG_2765 (1024x768).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Brian, I have worked with curly maple a lot - both in rifles, flat work and turnings. I love it, but personally, I would find it very distracting in a glued up turning. You would not be able to get the curl matched and it normally is prominent only on two opposing sides. Just my thoughts.
    i would consider alternate laminations with walnut. They go together great.
    I agree, John. I made one chalice out of 4 pieces of 4/4 Curly Maple and it really messes up the effect. I like the idea of walnut layers.

Very nice woods. We used to live in Santa Ana which was filled with Jacarandas. They were on both side of the street and met in the middle. Where are you finding it in San Diego?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Very nice woods. We used to live in Santa Ana which was filled with Jacarandas. They were on both side of the street and met in the middle. Where are you finding it in San Diego?
    Brian, I don't really have a steady source. But I keep my eyes open, expecially after a wind storm. I picked up my first batch of Jac. from an acquaintance who was removing a sick tree. I picked up the last batch when I was on vacation in Palm Desert. They had a wind storm and when the tree removal people showed up the next morning, I was there telling them the size logs to cut for me.

But Jac. grows well in Southern Ca. so there is hope....

Brian - check with Gilmer Wood Co in Portland. They often have Curley and figured maple turning blanks and they do ship. Prices have been pretty good when I've stopped there in the past.