Thread: Bloodhound Woodcarving

Bloodhound Woodcarving

BHound 4 red.jpegBHound 5 red.jpegBHound 9 red.jpegBHound 16 red.jpegBHound 17 red.jpegBHound 21 red.jpegBHound 23 red.jpeg

This is the latest dog completed. This is a Bloodhound.....really neat dog...field dog.....big, droopy, gregarious. I decided to carve him a little edgy. Since their skin just sags I could have really accentuated that or I could have cut some sharper lines into him just to give the art piece more distinction. So I told the owner that I had an idea and would just carve him a different version if he did not like the result. This is a real field dog and he likes to get down in the muck and goo. I thought this was a real good way to represent how much he is an outside dog, a real field dog.

Hope you like him.

Nicely done! Hound dogs are the best! We have an 18 month old chocolate lab, what a guy. Easy going, behaves extremely well (never seen an obedience class, just behaves all by himself). Yup, they like the outdoors, the other night we went for a walk in town. Right into the fountain, no problem, LOL.

Once my carving skills improve a bit I want to carve him.

Have tried to teach myself this slight (less than 45* head turn) and I think I am really going to like it for some breeds.These hounds are a little easier to do that way because they are kinda' thick through the neck into the shoulders. The dogs with more neck to shoulders distinction are a little harder and the way to carve them in this pose is not intuitive. It makes sense once you figure it out but its not intuitive.

I just hope the strokes I applied here are not too "artsy". I know the client "says" he likes it and I gave him complete freedom to ask for another and put no pressure on him in that regard. This was my choice as he really could not give me any real direction in his project (not unusual by the way). I would gladly have gone back and did one that was an effort to speak to what the animal represents in a slightly more realistic expression of what the pet represents to him if he thought it off or not to his liking. I can't say exactly what each pet represents to its actual owner because I can't pry their lids open and climb into their heads. I can only ask them to help me climb in there, see what I an see and then see how my hands choose to guide the tools in an effort to express that.

But I do really like the dog....have met this particular dog although that is not often the case. If left to his own devices I think he would come home with a few sharp edges on him every night along with various and sundry other points of interest in and on his coat and everywhere else.

Lower Onslow NS, about half way between the the North Pole and the Equator
    Hi James .
    I love him along with all your other dog carvings, well done
    . When are you going to get rid the snow ?
    Bruce

Bruce, while some of the earlier comments about snow were dead on....there was still some snow around, I think what you are seeing now is a white background I use for for purposes of the photos.

Thanks for your comments.