Thread: Any Bikers in Here (Elc Problem) HELP

Any Bikers in Here (Elc Problem) HELP

I have a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe ,yesterday after riding for a few hours and making several stops , I made a stop and turned off the key , the motor shut down but my lights and dash lights stayed on. I tried several times turning key on and off but the lights stayed on.
    Any Idea what caused this. I had to disconnect battery the get every thing off
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Ride through any rain? Could be a faulty ignition switch. Lots of internal connections and contacts. Can't find a wiring diagram for your model
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 05-28-2016 at 11:40 AM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

No rain here

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Ride through any rain? Could be a faulty ignition switch. Lots of internal connections and contacts. Can't find a wiring diagram for your model
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Just thinking out loud: Relay either failed open or circuit shorted someplace else?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

were would the relay be found??
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you have a volt meter or bulb you can detect voltage with, measure between ground and the input side of your fuse block. With the switch off there should not be any voltage. If there is voltage or the test bulb lights then I'd say ignition switch. I'm basing that on my 98 Valkyrie and have no experience with Yahama. Still, I don't think you would have voltage to the fuse block on any bike with the ignition off. YMMV. Thank you for your service.
    amended to ask if you apply brakes with ignition off do the brake lights come on?
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 05-28-2016 at 3:19 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    were would the relay be found??
    Most times, under the seat or behind the right-side cover. There are also several wiring connections in the headlight bucket as well.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

for now we wired a switch on the battery to shut everything off I'll get it ti shop this week I hope.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi Bert, since it shut off once you disconnected the battery, it probably isn't a stuck relay, or switch problem, it sounds like an onboard computer kept the lights on.

I have a new BMW that occasionally flattens the battery by turning something on in the middle of the night.....................Regards, Rod.

I don't think theres any computers on this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Bert, since it shut off once you disconnected the battery, it probably isn't a stuck relay, or switch problem, it sounds like an onboard computer kept the lights on.

I have a new BMW that occasionally flattens the battery by turning something on in the middle of the night.....................Regards, Rod.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander