Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15" Upper Kitchen Cabinets

15" Upper Kitchen Cabinets

Who has built deeper upper cabinets, > 12", and what did you think of them? I'm wanting more space in the uppers, but was wondering if there is any draw backs in making them 15".

I built cabinets for our kitchen. It's unbelievable the help you get from the forums. A professional cabinetmaker suggested 14" to me and they have worked out fine ( http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=kitchen ).

This was my first kitchen. I bought a few books to get ideas and drew up a plan. Then someone suggested Cabinet Planner software so I bought it. Glad I did because in 3-D the original design didn't look good. The program needs a little thought to use for material cut list but I survived.

Mike

Mark,

I exclusively make my uppers at least 14" deep and often 15". However, the only caveat I'll offer is for small kitchens where deeper-than-usual upper cabinets would lend a claustrophobic feel to the room. In such cases, selectively use the deeper uppers.

I think you'll find that the main reason most cabinet companies use 12" depths is to maximize the use of 4 X 8 sheetgoods... and that's a decent reason in itself, but it really doesn't provide the depth most people would prefer if they had the option.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Years ago, we started making our kitchens at 86" standard height (allowing a 30" standard upper and a 2" valence, while still having the 18" counter to upper height).

I also went to a 13" deep upper cabinet as standard. Some of the plates today are larger than in the past and also I found a lot of our older customers, had doors that were "just" not cloning properly due to the size of items they were putting into the cabinets. 13" has worked out great for us.

I do make deeper upper cabinets if required (as for appliances, over the fridge, range hood cabinet, etc) but have not had the need yet to go deeper than 13" as standard.

Depends also if the design is an inset, or overlay door. For inset I add another 3/4" which brings the total protrusion to the same as an overlay cab with the door.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Mine are 14-1/2" deep. I have an over the range microwave, and it looks better imo when it doesn't stick out so far past the cabinets.

I think in most cases, 13-1/2 to 14" is plenty deep.

If the room is poorly lit, deeper cabinets will seem even deeper, but if well lit, you won't really notice much difference.
    Gerry

JointCAM

My standard walk cabinet is 12½" deep. I've got one builder that wants them at 14" deep. I just say whatever. You burn up a little more material, but it's not a big deal. Every kitchen I've built for myself I've made them my standard depth.

Inset you'll also be losing whatever the thickness of your door is and and any setback you may have, if any.

I hate my phone sometimes. Just wade through the typos. Sorry

I built mine 13 inches deep and would do it again.

Robert

My standard build is 14" for an inset face frame cabinet and 13 1/4" box on a full overlay Euro kitchen yielding 14" deep overall. I only make them less if the client is insistent. If you are paying for a custom kitchen you might as well have more room.

One of the factors in 12" uppers is efficiency in utilizing materials.
    You loose 1 side/top/bottom per sheet if you go more than 11 1/2" on a the sheet stock.

I wish I did build deeper uppers...but alas...hindsight is golden...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    One of the factors in 12" uppers is efficiency in utilizing materials.
    You loose 1 side/top/bottom per sheet if you go more than 11 1/2" on a the sheet stock.
    No you don't. You combine various parts per sheet and you end up with a pretty efficient use.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    No you don't. You combine various parts per sheet and you end up with a pretty efficient use.

Usually that works. No matter what, you're still putting more material into the box and shelves. Drops will always get burned up, it's just a matter of how conveniently that is.

Here's the nest of my last kitchen. This one had 13 1/4" uppers because it was a Euro design.

Much like the bit of extra material it takes, to make our pantry cabinets and fridge gables 26" wide (so counters end with a clean square cut) the few extra sheets of material for making the upper units wider than 12", is not a whole lot more $$ if you look at the overall cost of materials. At least not on the average custom kitchen.

Kitchens should be primarily about practical, usable space - not about saving a few sheets of material, IMO. Unless you are talking low end, bargain type cabinets priced tight.
    Andrew J. Coholic