Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free SawStop Brake

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I think you saw stop is paid for now.....
    Yeah, definitely paid for itself. I'm sure glad you're ok.

As others have said, Mike, that cut you were making would scare the daylights outta me. Please be careful!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use a small sled and jigs on small pieces and keep my fingers a long way from the blade.

Thanks for posting the details as it is a reminder to all of us.

That was just a stupid way to make that cut. way to much chance of binding and kicking back along with taking fingers off.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I use a small sled and jigs on small pieces and keep my fingers a long way from the blade.
    ^ At the least. Man o' man I saw that photo and my stomach churned. Danger Danger Danger - Will Robinson.

Glad you weren't truly hurt. Hope you will never do that again.

With Brotherly Love, Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post

Glad you weren't truly hurt. Hope you will never do that again.
    Yeah, because it'll hit your thumb in the exact same spot, based on your example picture.
    I use a very simple cutoff sled to make cuts like that.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Mike - Thanks for posting. Nobody is too experienced to receive a valid safety warning every now and again. Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shapin View Post
    Mike - Thanks for posting. Nobody is too experienced to receive a valid safety warning every now and again. Much appreciated
    +1. And I suspect that's exactly why Mike posted it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    That was just a stupid way to make that cut. way to much chance of binding and kicking back along with taking fingers off.

Calling it stupid is rather rude. "There were safer ways to make that cut".

Thanks for your comments, everyone. Yes, I made a dumb mistake and I'm glad it only cost me a blade, a brake, and a bit of skin. If I had lost the end of my thumb... well, I don't even like to think about that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Calling it stupid is rather rude. "There were safer ways to make that cut".
    I don't mind him calling it stupid. Looking back, I think it was a stupid cut

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    I agree, it was a "dumb" cut but looking back I and anyone who has been doing woodworking for awhile have also done some pretty dumb things. Hopefully as we get older we also get a little wiser.
    Glad your ok Mike, get back on the horse and be safe!!

Thanks for the detailed pictures and explanation Mike. Yes, was a dangerous cut but many of us might have done something like that.
    Glad you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    I agree, it was a "dumb" cut but looking back I and anyone who has been doing woodworking for awhile have also done some pretty dumb things. Hopefully as we get older we also get a little wiser.
    Glad your ok Mike, get back on the horse and be safe!!
    Thanks. Yes, I've done a lot of dumb things in my life - not just woodworking things. I'm thankful I survived it all without serious injury.

One thing about old age is that it gives me perspective when I encounter younger people who do dumb things. There but for the grace of God...

Mike

Glad you weren't hurt. Thanks for posting. Now don't ever do that or anything similar again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    Mike it takes humility to admit and accept things like this, good for you.

A fast way to safely cut small pieces is to grip them in a wooden handscrew clamp. It's flat, will register against the saw fence and keep you hand well away from danger.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford